GO!

freeze dried raw

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Miso

like the gravy!

Barked: Fri Sep 14, '12 11:32am PST 
I'd like to move my dog to raw but neither me or my house mates eats meat and I'm not really comfortable handing it at all.

I've looked at freeze dried options my local shops carry and I'm in between amore (made locally to me), ziwipeak and k9 naturals.

My main questions is what are the differences in feeding a food with blood (ziwi) or without (k9)?

Also, amore recommends to add a meaty bone each day which I do not want to do at this point. Is this standard?
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Fri Sep 14, '12 12:03pm PST 
What you mean with blood?

I like ziwipeak it's nice they have the meat and also good bit of organs not just liver..

Liver, Lung, Tripe, Heart and Kidney

Saya gets ziwipeak for treats she loves it..

Can always feed ziwipeak and give a bone in meal for variety..
[notify]
Cookie

the chi-weenie

Barked: Fri Sep 14, '12 4:16pm PST 
Hmm, why don't you go for a premade -->frozen
[notify]

Cookie

the chi-weenie

Barked: Fri Sep 14, '12 4:18pm PST 
hmm for some reason only the first few words of my post is showing up....

I'm going to try and post it again...

Hmm, why don't you go for a premade -->frozen
[notify]
Cookie

the chi-weenie

Barked: Fri Sep 14, '12 4:19pm PST 
okay I think I know what happened...

Hmm, why don't you go for a premade frozen raw instead? like Nature's Variety etc.
the frozen is usually a great deal less $$$ than freeze dried variety,
and I've bought Nature's Variety frozen raw and it's nothing like raw meat. It's very much 'dog food'. It is similar to canned dog food, it has a very finely ground texture and an odor.

but handling raw meat is not so bad. If you have little dogs (chihuahua in your picture?) you can feed things like chicken wing pieces, which you can buy whole packs of and all you do is take a wing piece and give it to the pup. Not much preparation.
and you can buy beef cheek, shoulder, and other boneless cuts and just cut it into the right sized cubes for all the other meals.

I can find beef liver and kidney at the grocery store too.

don't know if that helps at all. If you're like me, learning to cut up a raw steak is quiet doable. compared to other things. :[

and actually, if money is not an issue, you can also buy beef that is already cut up into cubes or pieces. I always see trays of cut up beef for stews and stir fry, but they are too expensive for me. so I have to buy the bigger pieces and cut them up myself.

putting some pieces of already cut up beef into doggy's bowl doesn't sound to bad does it?
nor does handing over a small chicken wing piece.
the organ meat may still be a little gross, but it would be the only thing you have to cut a slice off of. smile
[notify]
Miso

like the gravy!

Barked: Fri Sep 14, '12 4:45pm PST 
first the blood question. Apparently the blood is drained from the meats that k9 naturals so it's a bit drier and less nutritious.

I'm going to have to look into the cost of true raw meat. I am pretty picky when it comes to the food I do feed her in terms of it being ethically sourced and if I bought meat it would have to be the same. I have never actually bought meat though so have no idea what it would cost.

I think I'd have an easier time with the organs than anything with bones in it. bones are gross. Thanks for the thoughts though.
[notify]
Cookie

the chi-weenie

Barked: Sat Sep 15, '12 4:17am PST 
Hope it helps.
I had never really bought raw meat before feeding my dog raw either, so I was totally clueless about meat prices and what I'd be able to afford. But with small dogs, it's all quite affordable. Cookie weighs 8-9 lbs and only eats 3-4 oz a day.

I like to browse the meat sections and look at every single price/lb label every time I go shopping.
[notify]