GO!

Prey-Model Raw Diet

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Amber

Angel Eye Amber,- CGC

Barked: Tue Sep 11, '12 8:52pm PST 
So I have been educating myself for months on information for switching my dogs onto raw diet, but the more I read and learn, the more questions I have! Looking for some helpful information from people that feed following the prey-model raw..

Do you guys supplement with anything? Obviously with the prey-model you feed only meat, bones, organs etc. But does anyone fear that their dogs aren't receiving enough __(insert nutrient here)__?

How often do you guys mix it up? Like three days a week maybe their meals are muscle meat, then two days you mix meat with bone and two days meat and organ- something like this?? This is the real thing I wonder most about..

I understand that generally, you feed 2-3% of your dogs body weight daily, but are there any guidelines anyone has found useful as far as age/breed/lifestyle that would impact this that makes more sense? I have an almost 8 month old puppy and a 7 year old dog, both very active and don't keep weight on them easily (and eating Orijen currently)... just looking to see if anyone has a recommendation for me for when I do finally switch?

I wish I knew of a good pet nutritionalist in my area to discuss this all with, but I do not and my vets don't necessarily support or are knowledgable in raw diets. I have a number of links saved as bookmarks on my laptop and refer to them often, but would love some advice from individuals!!

Thank you big grin
[notify]
Maverick- SD

Sweet Goober

Barked: Tue Sep 11, '12 11:56pm PST 
It's easy to get overwhelmed, but try not to overthink it. Eyeball it and supplement with fish oil to balance out the omega 3s. I have found Raw Chat and Raw Feeding groups on Facebook to be very helpful. Also, keep n mind that you balance over time. You don't eat a perfectly balaced meal everytime do you? Just look at your dog's det as a whole and look to your do to jude the effectivness of the diet. Does yur do have good energy/weight/teeth/etc?
I am still new to raw so more experienced raw feeders welcome.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Wed Sep 12, '12 12:29am PST 
Unless you're feeding a lot of grass fed meat or oily fish, it's good to supplement with fish oil, like Maverick said. Other supplements can offer benefits, but if you're feeding a balanced raw diet, you should be getting all the nutrients you need without any other supplements. Starting out, I wouldn't worry about supplementing anything but fish oil.

When switching to raw, it's best to include bone with every meal to keep stools firm. Some dogs will always need bone with every meal to have good stools, some are fine with a bone-in meal every other meal, ect. Same with organ meats, some dogs can handle a week's worth of liver/other organ in one meal, some will get cannon butt from that. Definitely when switching, organs should be introduced very gradually.

Once your dogs are adjusted to eating various proteins, the more variety you can get the better. Some people feed a different protein every day, rotating between beef, pork, chicken, ect. ect. Some will feed one protein for several days in a row, then switch to another protein as they obtain it. Either way is fine as balance over time is the important thing. The more red meat you can feed the better. Chicken shouldn't be more than 50% of the overall diet.

The main thing to keep in mind as far as various ages is to make sure you don't overdo bone with growing puppies, stick closely to the 10%. 2-3% is a starting place, some dogs need way more than that to stay at a healthy weight, some need less. If your dogs are extremely active, they may need more than 3%, so if they start to get too thin, start feeding a bit more.

Edited by author Wed Sep 12, '12 12:35am PST

[notify]

Cookie

the chi-weenie

Barked: Wed Sep 12, '12 6:35am PST 
just fish oil smile
I remember when i was going to start raw and had so many overwhelming questions.
but it's pretty simple, especially when you realize, meat, organs, and bones are all you need.

I actually order a premade raw now, but if I wasn't feeding that most the time, I would be feeding meat most of the week, and every few days or so, feed a bone-in-meat with some organ (each equal to 10% of their meals over that many days).

For example, beef(etc) for a few days, then bone-in-meat with some beef liver and kidney, and repeat.
[notify]
Winston-dog

Sir Winston- Crazy-dog - can we play yet?

Barked: Wed Sep 12, '12 1:59pm PST 
I don't supplement fish oil because I know most of my meat is grass-fed. I feed fish once a week, and at least one meal of tripe a week.
Winson ends up eating around 3.5% because he is very active and doesn't keep weight on easily either.
Most of the time he gets RMB meals in the morning and meat at night, in weekends he gets a big RMB to work on all day, and one day his bony meal is switched out for an offal meal (but it took him a lot to be able to eat that much offal at once)

Edited by author Wed Sep 12, '12 2:01pm PST

[notify]