GO!

Low Purines

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Elvis Pawsly-

The king.

Barked: Tue Sep 11, '12 12:10pm PST 
I am getting two dalmatians in about a week and they need a diet with low Purines,no beef, and no organ meat so what would the best raw diet to give them with all the nutrients they need?
[notify]
Elvis Pawsly-

The king.

Barked: Tue Sep 11, '12 12:14pm PST 
Also, is it ok to feed puppies raw diet? They will be 9 weeks when I get them, do i need to transition them? Sorry for all the questions i never fed any of my dogs raw diets so im new to this idea.
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Tue Sep 11, '12 1:52pm PST 
I know of a breeder who transitions pups onto raw just fine..

There used to be a dalmatian owner on dogster, but they don't post here much so I'm not sure maybe they'll see this post and post their experiences.
[notify]

Elvis Pawsly-

The king.

Barked: Tue Sep 11, '12 5:35pm PST 
Ok, thanks, maybe i'll repost this under the dalmatian section.
[notify]
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Wed Sep 12, '12 4:36pm PST 
Delta and Doc are two dalmations on this forum that eat a raw diet. I believe they are on a low-purine version of the prey-model, where the organ meats are replaced by either supplementing or veggie slurs. If you are looking to talk to someone experienced in the subject, I can drop their owner a line on facebook and let them know.
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Wed Sep 12, '12 7:44pm PST 
Thanks Charlie. I can't believe I forgot their names. hehe

For pups they seem to get used to raw bit faster then an adult who been on kibble all their life, but still good to transition a little don't want loose or watery poop from having such a big change..

Bone in chicken is usually what people start with pretty low in prices and can adjust fat by taking skin off. and bone is pretty soft compared to pork bones..

For a pup I never raised one on raw, but bone in chicken breast should work. Cornish hens which are smaller then big roasters might be good to start on as it'd be smaller.

If pup having issue chewing bone you might need to mash it with a hammer or something so soften it and soon the pup will be able to chew it with no help.

Be sure the chicken isn't enhanced by sodium or broth as the extra sodium can cause loose poop for some dogs.

Edited by author Wed Sep 12, '12 7:45pm PST

[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Wed Sep 12, '12 9:42pm PST 
I already let Delta & Doc's person know about the thread but she is busy busy smile Maybe she will drop by soon!
[notify]