GO!

mixed information on web

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Barked: Mon Sep 10, '12 7:49pm PST 
I have 2 small dogs I started raw on 4 weeks ago.
I'm finding my way through.

With whole stuff they drag whole pieces into the house and those whole pieces are well received - sometimes and sometimes not.
Solution: Bought 360 dollar grinder.

Dealing with raw meat is a pain cause I am a vegetarian AND it is messy. Solution: Bought restaurant prep table for outside.

My main issue is finding the right info on the diet itself. Some say never feed pork, salmon, corn, broccoli, wheat (I believe that one cause I tried it), etc.
Then others say just feed the meat, no veggies.
Then others say leafy greens are best. Then others say don't do veggies and fruit in the same feeding.

My dogs didn't like the romaine glup mixed with the ground chicken by the way.

So I think at this point it would be best to start logging the meals to keep track of what they like and also to make sure they have a variety.

Where I stand at this point is feeding grinded poultry with bone and/or fish, supplementing with knawing bones (for during the day) and adding the green glop OR some fruit glop with the ground meat.

I can't tell if my dogs are 'happier' but I did have one that I had to hand feed the kibble. He eats without help now and I get to work on time most of the time now. Their behavior toward this change is pretty good. I think they sometimes wonder what in heck am I suppose to do with this (just like humans -ew it's green..
No poop problems but I'm not getting the tiny white ones. They are smaller though than before.

I think this is working and I'm committed and they threw away the key. Even as a vegetarian...

I was wondering what crap they put in kibble for a while anyway. Can't trust the corps.

Thanks for reading my story if you got this far down. smile
[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Mon Sep 10, '12 8:16pm PST 
Hi guest smile

There are several ways to put together a raw diet, but most people on this forum choose to follow "prey model". It most closely models what wild canids would eat from nature, and is what domestic dogs' cousin, the grey wolf, naturally consumes.

Some people prefer to include fruits and veggies in the diet to replace organs, but they must be cooked and pureed so the dog can access the nutrients. Other dogs must have the veggies in place of organs due to diet restrictions, such as Dalmatians. Fruit and veggies in their whole, raw form, are not digestible by our carnivorous pets and therefore many people choose to omit them (but will often still use them as treats or snacks)!

Prey model is a rough ratio of 80% meat, 10% edible bone, 5% liver and 5% other secreting organs. Some people feed this ratio daily, others spread it out over a week, whatever works. The key is balance over time.

Pork and salmon are fine to feed- as long as the pork is from a good human quality source- Trichinosis is NOT a concern and has not been, in any good quaity, regulated agriculture, for some time now (but is still a concern in raw wild game). Avoid feeding raw salmon from the Pacific Northwest- any other types of salmon from elsewhere is fine. That includes farmed, if it's the only source you can get.

I recently switched over from prey model to whole prey, which is great if you can find it. I fed Farley prey model for almost 2 years with good results, though.

I also just wanted to add that a diet of mainly ground food does not provide the mental and physical workout that comes from feeding larger raw pieces. Ground raw meats will also have a higher bacteria count than unground meats will.

Edited by author Mon Sep 10, '12 8:21pm PST

[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Tue Sep 11, '12 3:09am PST 
I would like you to list a subject where there isn't a great deal of debate on THE way to do it! Most anything we do can be done many different ways.

A lot of the information is based on personal experience. Since your dogs didn't like romaine/chicken glop you might write that it is a poor combination of foods. I might say sardines are terrible for dogs because my dog gets horrible ear goo when he eats them. Plenty of people think their dogs don't do well on something like liver because they don't introduce it in miniscule bits or cannot eat raw because that dog needs a super slow introduction to raw.

I don't want tiny white poop. That means too much bone has been fed and the dog is excreting excess calcium. Max only gets bone to firm his poop and I look for well formed but not hard stool that stays dark as it dries if I happen to miss it on the lawn. Since he gets a variety of meats he will have a variety of poops. I don't like seeing mucousy poops or large soft ones or small hard yellow ones, means I overdid something the day before but they vary in shape, size, color and consistence depending on how much and exactly what he got the day before.

If there is a pronouncement about a given food then research it. Why is pork frowned upon? It is likely the potential for trichinosis because they are omnivores and might eat meat, it can be fatty, can carry pseudorabies that keep people writing that it is bad food. In the US trich is gone in feedlot pork, pseudorabies isn't present and you can cut off fat. Done. Why is salmon frowned upon? In the Pacific northwest a number of fish can carry a devastating parasite that kills dogs. Salmon is one of those fish. Freezing long and hard does kill that nasty but those that have experienced salmon poisoning often chose to not feed salmon! Corn. A dogster that used corn in the dog's cooked food discovered why. The dog's poop was mostly corn hulls! Dog did fine with what was inside the hull though. The fruit and veggie thing is probably more personal experience. Their dog's gut was overwhelmed for some reason.

I thought Max was just fine and dandy on kibble and grainy cooked food. Turns out those eye goobers were from grains. Glad to feed him food I can fine tune so no problem avoiding sardines. His fur is no longer like sticky dull spider webs but is silky shiny soft. He gained 15% of his previous ideal weight in actual strong muscle as a senior dog. Boy was I wrong about his health!
[notify]

Cookie

the chi-weenie

Barked: Tue Sep 11, '12 6:28am PST 
I agree there is a lot of mixed info on the web.

I believe the prey model is the most purest.

I order some stuff from www.saddogsushi.com
they are the only company I have found that really supports prey model and does not include veggies in their product. You might check them out just to read the info on the diet itself.

It's really awesome to feed whole parts/prey if you can because that keeps the dogs teeth and breath very clean. ground meals will still require you to brush their teeth.

with prey model, you'd feed hunks of meat the majority of the time, then feed a boney meal with liver or other organ. (the size of the bone and amount of organ depends on what 10 and 10 percent of your dogs food over that period of time is)

for variety, beef, chicken, fish, turkey, pork, lamb are usually available at grocery stores.

but considering how much $$ you've spent on your grinder, I'd take a look at S.A.D. Dog Sushi because they offer prepackaged whole piece(aka non-ground) daily meals that are weighed to match your dog's needs.
[notify]