GO!

Thank you! (kind of long sorry)

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Murphy

Smurph Man

Barked: Sun Sep 9, '12 11:09am PST 
I just had to stop by and thank the raw forum, and Dogster in general. You guys have taught me so much about nutrition and other needs for Murph.

Before I found Dogster(about 6 years ago), Murph was fed Iams. He got sick every week at least once a week, whether he would throw up or have diarrhea. He was a few pounds underweight (8 pounds when he should be about 10-12 it's a huge difference for a small guy) as well as always itchy. I started to do research after reading around in the nutrition/health forums here on Dogster and quickly switched him to a better kibble. However he would never eat, he was still throwing up once a week at the very least from never eating. He was so stubborn, I left his food down for 20 minutes and picked it up if he didn't eat. He would go days without eating and I could never figure out why. I tried rotating flavors, tried changing the brand, tried adding wet food, wetting his food, everything and had no luck.

Finally about 4-5 years ago I started reading into raw, I originally wanted to try the regular raw diet but I couldn't convince my mom to do it (I was 16 at the time) so I had to ease into it. I remember giving Murph his first chicken quarter and I don't think I've ever seen such a happy dog lol. He chewed it very well and there were no issues with it. My mom was still uncomfortable with the whole thing, so I decided to try premade raw (natures variety) instead as my mom was more comfortable with this. Well needless to say once we tried it, we never went back. It took me only a few weeks to notice drastic changes in Murph, starting with the fact that he never got sick anymore. I noticed his coat becoming more shiny and less dull, I noticed he had more energy through-out the day, he pooped once a day now instead of three times and it smelled soo much less. Most of all he maintained a normal 10-11 pound weight. It helped improve Murph so much and now he actually looks forward to eating dinner every night. Murphy never gets sick to his stomach anymore, I can't even remember the last time he had the runs or threw up.

About 2 summers ago, Murph had a UTI issue come up and it never went away. They tried antibiotics and it disappeared for a month or so but came back again this time with crystals present. They ended up trying a longer course of the antibiotics with no luck. We did an xray and found that he had a bladder stone forming in him so at the time I had no choice but to put him on the royal canin canned urinary diet (the vet never even asked me what I fed Murph until I told her I was kind of unsure about putting him on royal canin). I knew nothing about diets for crystals/bladder stones so I had no idea what was so special about these diets. I started researching again and emailed Royal Canin, they told me that the diets are basically made with lower minerals than normal foods. Nothing special there, the most important minerals to make sure that are lower are the calcium and magnesium. I waited a few weeks until this food cleared Murph up and then I started to read up on all the premade raw food analysis (can't believe how hard some of these were to find, not a lot of foods put them on their websites let alone the bag). After emailing a company (Bravo!) I was able to find a premade raw with a lower mineral count than the Royal Canin and 7 months later hes still in the clear. No problems what so ever! Here's hoping it stays that way!

I just owe a huge thank you to Dogster, the raw/food nutrition forums for educating me into looking into better options for Murph. I get compliments every time I take him out, about how much energy he has for his age (he will be 9 in December) and how healthy his coat is! You guys are awesome and I'm sorry for making this so long laugh out loudhughug

(also feel free to share any success stories you've had with raw, I love hearing about them! I especially love seeing the before and after photos smile )

Edited by author Sun Sep 9, '12 11:13am PST

[notify]
Daisy

Use your nose!

Barked: Mon Sep 10, '12 12:05am PST 
What a great story, and thank you for sharing! I feel the same way about what raw has done for my girl. She did not have any particular health problems, but I feel as though she is just so much healthier on raw. And mostly she just enjoys her food so much more. It is just amazing.
[notify]
Murphy

Smurph Man

Barked: Mon Sep 10, '12 1:55pm PST 
It's always a huge plus when they enjoy their food (even though most dogs aren't stubborn with eating laugh out loud)!

Murphy never cared when I said the word "dinner" before but now he comes running and licking his lipsbig laugh
[notify]

Jazz

Surf's up, let's- go to the beach!

Barked: Mon Sep 10, '12 2:31pm PST 
Jazz has always had skin issues, especially in summer as well as frequent ear infections. She also had to have her anal glands expressed every 2 weeks. A year ago I switched her to Natures Variety frozen raw. She still gets a very small amount of NV kibble in the morning.(very small-not even 1/4 cup) I rotate the proteins, which NV makes very easy with so many choices. Everything changed within 2 weeks of starting the raw diet. Less itching, less pooping & no more anal gland issues. She's had ear infection twice in a year, instead of every month as it used to be. Raw food is a winner!
[notify]
Murphy

Smurph Man

Barked: Tue Sep 11, '12 4:51pm PST 
So glad to hear that Jazz! It definitely is!hug
[notify]