GO!

Raw and food aggression

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Rufio

I don't walk, I- prance!

Barked: Sat Sep 8, '12 5:45pm PST 
I thought it was a myth when I would read or hear that raw feeding makes pets food aggressive till just now...
Rufio has been fed raw since puppyhood, I started hand feeding him and then eventually trusting him to eat it on his own. I'm not sure at what point it started but he IS food aggressive now. I thought it was just him and I must have somehow enabled it so I just kind of deal with it now and it hasn't been THAT big of a deal thus far shrug HOWEVER, we have recently added a new member to our family- a 4 month old kitten. Today I gave the kitten raw chicken gizzards to see if he would like it. At first I was holding it for him as he was chewing, but when I let him chew it on his own and I went back near him as he was eating it- he started growling!!! What is going on???! Last thing i need is another one of my pets being food aggressive! what do I do?! HELP PLEASE.confused
[notify]
Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Sat Sep 8, '12 6:10pm PST 
The raw diet did not make him aggressive, there's something else at play here. I'm sure someone more experienced with this can give you better advice than me but I just wanted to say that I don't see how the diet caused this.
[notify]
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Sat Sep 8, '12 6:50pm PST 
I can tell you right now that 80% of kittens are food aggressive. I've fostered 3 litters of cats and have bottle fed them from various ages, they growl and claw my fingers (I'm just holding the bottle), chew the nipple off.. When they grew up (weaned) and ate together they could eat in union with no growlies. But if I fed them by themselves and tried to take it away they would paw and growl at me.

Our cats (4 of them) were food aggressive as kittens. But kinda grew out of it. They're raw fed too, ages 2 - 5, and don't have problems anymore.. Though they are notorious for stealing Nare's food.
[notify]

Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Sat Sep 8, '12 7:24pm PST 
It's natural for animals to guard their food, it's a survival instinct. They may not show it when they are the only pet. But when competition is introduced where there was previously none, it can surface. (Happened to me in a very violent way.)
Work with the kitten (and Rufio is he shows aggression) by hand-feeding him in a separate room from the other pets. He'll learn that you bring the food, not take it, and will stop showing aggression to you when he gets this. And only give food when he's calm, not when he's on the prowl.

My Shiba was food aggressive with me at first, and I hand-fed him (he was on kibble at the time) until he was okay with me being around his food, then I hand-fed him again when I switched him to raw to solidify that mindset. He was again food aggressive with my Mom's dogs when I moved back in (he would seek them out even if they were in a different room to attack first) so I fed him separately, and only gave him food when he was sitting calmly and not trying to tear the door down. I NEVER tried to take food from him once he had it. He does have a very solid "Leave It!" command, but I don't use it on his actual food. Once he has it, it's his, and I cannot take it unless he is like, choking on it.

Edited by author Sat Sep 8, '12 7:25pm PST

[notify]

Barked: Sun Sep 9, '12 11:06am PST 
I've noticed a little bit of food guarding towards the cats now that we have started raw. She used to just let to cats even eat out of her bowl of kibble, but not that we're on raw, I've had to watch her and the cats extremely close, because she will go after them if they get to close to her whilst eating. It makes sense though. Kinda like if you were getting robbed and they asked you if they could take a cardboard box, you'd gladly say yes, but if they asked if they would take your TV that'd be a whole different story. Raw is more yummy to her than those old tasteless triangles, so she wants to make sure the cats don't take any of her new tasty food away. Though I've worked with her on it, and she's gotten much better with it.
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Mon Sep 10, '12 10:23pm PST 
You also have to keep in mind that raw is very high value to most critters, so it doesn't surprise me that they are less tolerant towards what they perceived as someone messing with their food!

I know that with Rexy, I had to do some work to get her to let me handle her food and come when called even when there is raw food around.
[notify]
Brody

Tiny boy, but he- has a huge- heart!

Barked: Tue Sep 11, '12 7:38am PST 
Google resource guarding and you will have your answer. smile
[notify]
Gray Dawn- Treader

Don\\\'t Tread- on me

Barked: Sat Sep 15, '12 1:24pm PST 
Yep, NOT the raw causing it--this is resource guarding of a high value item.
Treader did this, and I began feeding him out of my hand for a while.

Here's an article about resource guarding.
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Sat Sep 15, '12 10:20pm PST 
Here's a book on resource guarding it's for dogs so not sure if it can be used with cats..

http://www.amazon.com/Mine-Practical-Guide-Resource-Guardi ng/dp/0970562942/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1328913609&sr=8-3
[notify]
Jobi

Clown Dog

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 7:23pm PST 
i don't know what it is but if i dare put a finger towards my shih tzu when she is =eating her meat.. i will pull back a bloody stub!.. my yorkie will just pick his food up and run if i come close hahahaha
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2