GO!

Switching Puppy to Raw Dilemma

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Bambi

Yes, I'm a boy,- just like the- deer!

Barked: Sat Sep 8, '12 9:29am PST 
Right now I feed Daisy raw. I get it right most of the time and she seems to do good on it. She certainly feels and acts healthier. However, I worry that I might be missing something in her diet. Something that won't kill or really harm her at 7 years old, but that would be bad for my 8 month old puppy. So should I switch him over with premade first? That is how I started Daisy. It is expensive, but peace of mind is worth more than that. If I do start him on premade, how long should he be on it before I switch him to a diet like Daisy's?
[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Sat Sep 8, '12 10:09am PST 
How long have you been feeding Daisy raw?
How much do you feed her?
What do you feed her? (Do you have an example of what she eats for say, a week)?

It is okay to start dogs on premade raw if you do prefer feeding that way. I had Farley on premade raw for a year before switching him over to prey-model and evetually, whole prey. He did well on premade but it was extremely expensive for his size.

Edited by author Sat Sep 8, '12 10:11am PST

[notify]
Bambi

Barked: Sat Sep 8, '12 10:27am PST 
Daisy has been on raw for about 4-5 months now.

In her daily meals there is some beef and chicken meat, as well as a small bit of either chicken gizzard or heart. She gets chicken bones (either thigh, leg, or back with ribs) every 3-4 days because she is so tiny I can't figure out 10% bone for every meal. Also once a week she is given a beef short rib with a good amount of meat on it but she is so tiny she really can't eat that bone so I don't count it in her bone ratio. I am sure she gets a little, but mostly she is just getting meat.

She also gets cranberry and fish oil tablet supplements.

Edited by author Sat Sep 8, '12 10:27am PST

[notify]

Cookie

the chi-weenie

Barked: Sat Sep 8, '12 3:09pm PST 
gizzards and hearts are not organ meat. You're babies need 5% liver and 5% some other organ ( I found beef kidney at the store ).

but I think you're doing fine. (seeing that you get some real organ meat soon)
the diet should be mostly meat, so that's good.

for me, figuring out the 10% bone and organ thing was like this:
Cookie eats like 3 or 4 oz of raw a day. so I googled what a meat of meat that size looked like, and I literally drew that shape onto a piece of paper and made a 10 square grid over it.
1 square is the 10% bone and 1 square is the 10% organ and the rest is meat.

In order to avoid feeding bits of bone and organ every single day.. I just looked at my picture and thought.. I'll feed 5 square's worth of bone every five days or something. (so a chicken thigh every five days for example).

but I'll admit, I order a premade raw from these guys: www.saddogsushi.com
I just enjoy the piece of mind, they have organs mixed in that I can't normally find and they don't contain any extra veggies or anything like the other premade's on the market. Check them out if you're in the US?
[notify]
Bambi

Barked: Sat Sep 8, '12 11:05pm PST 
See, something stupid like that... lol. I got some chicken kidneys tonight. I will look for another organ soon. I knew heart wasn't an organ (though I had forgotten that when I posted), but didn't realize gizzards weren't. naughty

Good suggestion on the serving portions. It is hard to get it right. I fed her too much bone at one point and made her constipated. Then I tried to soften it up by giving her some extra fish oil tablets. Needless to say, I went too far the other way.
[notify]