GO!

How much to feed a 1 yr-old growing GSD?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Fri Sep 7, '12 8:05am PST 
A friend of mine has a GSD pup that will be a year old on September 30th. He's currently kibble-fed but he gets raw chicken and raw eggs a few times a week and she is looking to get him off kibble completely because he doesn't do well on it.

She's wondering how much she'd have to feed him if she switches him to raw (I don't know much about raw feeding amounts for puppies-growing young adults). The GSD is currently 68 lbs, his mama was around 75 lbs and dad was well over that. She plans on neutering him when he is finished growing.
Anyone have any input? Thanks!

Edited by author Fri Sep 7, '12 8:13am PST

[notify]
Ridley

Cry cry cry!

Barked: Fri Sep 7, '12 12:58pm PST 
I've always fed Ridley an approximation of what I expected to feed him as an adult.

Right now, at 11 months old, I am feeding ~2% of what I would feed a 70lb dog, which is around a lb and a half a day (still doing some Honest Kitchen with the meals, but much less vs. when he was a puppy).

If they're thinking around 90-100lbs-ish, I'd start at about 1.8 - 2 lbs a day and adjust from there.

Edited by author Fri Sep 7, '12 12:58pm PST

[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Fri Sep 7, '12 1:09pm PST 
Start with 2-3% of his expected adult body weight and then adjust as needed based on body condition, just like you would with an adult. Definitely better to keep him lean so I'd start with 2% like Ridley said and see how he does. Even knowing the size of the parents leaves some guess work and activity levels vary quite a bit, so she may need to experiment a bit before finding his perfect amount.
[notify]