GO!

How to switch to Premade Raw?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2  
Layla CGN

oh the life of a- princess!

Barked: Sat Sep 8, '12 8:33am PST 
Hi Chloe!
Do I understand this right: you are currently on prey model raw and want to switch to a mix of premade raw and kibble? This is what I would do (doesn't mean it's the best solution though, BOL): Switch cold turkey to premade raw for a few weeks, then introduce kibble.
I've done a mix of raw and kibble before and I would feed kibble 2 days, then raw 1 day. It was all right, but I noticed more poop issues than with 100% raw. I am currently going back to a mix of "kibble" and raw for Layla and Jagger. The "kibble" I am getting is actually a dehydrated food called CaniSource. I'll be doing CaniSource with raw meaty bones twice a week.
[notify]
Cookie

the chi-weenie

Barked: Sat Sep 8, '12 3:15pm PST 
I also switched cold turkey.

If you are still looking into premade raw, check these guys out if you live in the US: www.saddogsushi.com
they are pretty freaking awesome. I order from them. I like their business and beliefs and their quality of product. They may or may not be cheaper than the premades on the self considering shipping cost.

but figuring out how much meat/bone/organ to feed is not all that hard, if you can just get a good grasp and a good visual of what they need in the beginning, that's all their is to it...
buy a kitchen scale?

but starting out is less about portions and more about introducing the raw meat itself. I'd give a dog at least two weeks to see if stools improved before quitting. also add in some all natural yogurt for good digestion.
[notify]

Barked: Sat Sep 8, '12 3:31pm PST 
Hi,
I feed pre-made raw, I switched my dogs right over with no problems but I was feeding kibble at the time.
I use Oma's and Vital Essentials. Vital Essentials is the closest I could find to a prey model diet without doing it myself. There is no fruit or veggies and they also make a kibble if you want to do both. I like the Oma's because there is nothing added in and I can get the ground bone, plus they have a great variety of proteins. Primal I would stay away from, my one dog gained alot of weight on it and all their teeth got yucky, there is way too much fruit and vegetables in it. I didn't have good results with Bravo either, I didn't like the consistency of it.

Cindi
[notify]

Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Sun Sep 9, '12 2:40pm PST 
All I did was start giving the patties (Instinct) at some meals instead of kibble. Never had any problems with stomach upsets or anything, except that now if I try to go back to kibble Bianca gets gassy on the kibble.
[notify]
London

Barked: Mon Sep 10, '12 2:41pm PST 
Switched my puppy to raw using Natures Variety Raw Froze and whole chicken cut into meal sized portions.
I liked the Nature's Variety because it is in easy to handle 1oz patties and claims to be 95% meat, organs, and bone. The Primal was considerably less (77%).

London really loves the whole pieces of chicken and I have started to add cuts of beef and liver. These seem to be much preferred over the premade. But I like having at least 50% premade so I can feel a little better about the balance in the meals.

Craig
[notify]
Chloe

small but mighty

Barked: Wed Sep 12, '12 6:27pm PST 
Layla: The dogs are currently on kibble. I tried to do prey model with the huskies earlier this year but it was too much work. I would like to switch them over to premade but I'm concerned about the cost and not ready to try and do prey model myself again.
[notify]
Layla CGN

oh the life of a- princess!

Barked: Thu Sep 13, '12 4:48pm PST 
I totally understand. I switched Layla and Jagger from homemade prey model raw to a dehydrated food recently; just couldn't handle the amount of work and the cost. I wonder if you could find something like Totally Raw Natural Dog Food? They are based in Nova Scotia Canada. I'm in New Brunswick Canada and from my research, I like their stuff the best. It's based on prey model; they offer a meal plan and sells whole foods like lamb bones and pork bones. If I could afford it for all of my dogs, that's what I would do, but it's just too expensive for us right now. shrug
[notify]
(Quin)- Herdabout- The Mighty- Qu

Herdabout The- Mighty Quinlan!

Barked: Thu Sep 13, '12 8:13pm PST 
I switched cold turkey and it was fine. Natures Variety has a good premade raw and you can feed the dry too (grain free smile )

I used to do one meal dry and one meal raw....and its good to have the dry around in case you forget to thaw stuff smile
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2