GO!

How to respond to detractors?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Fri Aug 24, '12 6:51am PST 
I keep an ad up on Craigslist asking for freezer burned/unwanted meat and I get a helpful response every couple of weeks. But this morning I got my first email from someone who thinks what I'm doing is stupid. It reads:

"I understand your need to feed your precious animals, we have several of our own, however, I would like to inform you, "old, freezer-burn" meat can create bacteria and cause health problems for any human/animal consuming this meat. I would suggest going to a food pantry or buying plain chicken that happens to be on sale and prepare it yourself."

It certainly doesn't seem malicious or anything like that, but I'm wondering if I should just ignore it and move on (my first inclination) or try and educate them a little and assure them that freezer burned meat is not doing my pets any harm.
[notify]
Cookie

the chi-weenie

Barked: Fri Aug 24, '12 6:59am PST 
haha, I can totally feel this situation.
to be honest, they had the nerve to 'educate' you, so I don't think it's wrong in anyway to correct them.
I would try to find a quote from a source about freezer burned meat and how it does not harbor bacteria anymore than any other frozen product. (HUMANS can eat freezer burned meat. It simply does not taste as good.) That way they can get what was coming to them (for spreading their ignorance around). and you don't have to reply anymore after that.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Fri Aug 24, '12 7:26am PST 
Amazing that people think that. It is just dried out. There are millions of articles in books, magazines, newspapers stating that.

It tastes really nasty. When I was a kid my Mom bought a side of beef and it wasn't wrapped well enough so by the time we were getting to the bottom of the freezer it wasn't in good shape. Before we realized it was freezer burnt we thought the pan hadn't been rinsed of chlorine cleanser as that was the flavor of the freezer burnt meat. We didn't get sick, just put in more garlic powder to disguise the nasty taste and were sure glad to see the end of that stuff!
[notify]

y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Fri Aug 24, '12 7:31am PST 
lol freezer burnt meat can 'create' bacteria? i thought spontaneous generation was long disproven.. for about 100 years now. big grin
[notify]
Tessa- Sue~*In- loving- memory*~

Gone. But the- ledgend lives on

Barked: Fri Aug 24, '12 7:38am PST 
Many people feel that ehow.com is reliable.. Perhaps you can share this link.
http://www.ehow.com/how_2303378_feed-dog-raw-budget.html

S tep 3 discusses freezer burnt meat
[notify]
Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Fri Aug 24, '12 7:46am PST 
I sent a response basically saying "thanks for your concern but here's a link to the USDA website that says freezer burned meat is perfectly safe to eat."

I'm not looking to start a fight with them but that kind of ignorance shouldn't be allowed to go on.
[notify]
Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Fri Aug 24, '12 3:06pm PST 
Spam folder, delete, block sender's address.
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Fri Aug 24, '12 5:58pm PST 
I guess I was lucky with my ads I either got someone asking for info because they were interested or a reply for meat..

If the person gives you anymore dumb replies then ignore. If you tried to be nice and educate that freezer burned meat is fine and the person still doesn't like it just ignore. shrug
Saya got freezer burned deer, beef, and pork she did fine. Sure there probably some nutritional lost, but not enough to hurt the dog free food is great.
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Fri Aug 24, '12 10:30pm PST 
Noah, that would have been my response too.

If they reply with any sort of nastiness, then I would just block and delete their messages.

You never know though, I posted on freecycle asking for unwanted meat and ended up with an awesome lead on how to get free scraps!
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Sat Aug 25, '12 12:40pm PST 
Your reply sounds right-on to me. I have no issue with being rude to such emails - if you even feel like getting involved - since it's intrusive and condescending to send a "you should know better" email in the first place. If they actually cared about what you were doing, they would be more tactful.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2