GO!

People who own Monica Segal's books

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2  

Barked: Tue Sep 11, '12 3:45pm PST 
Sure! We (legal team) have no issues with anyone sharing the info privately.

Peer reviews were private via veterinary nutritionists which doesn't qualify as being peer reviewed IMHO. But that was to be expected (arguably) because I have no issues with raw feeding (whereas there can be bias in some veterinary circles) and I'm not a veterinary nutritionist. The reason I know that the analyses we did were as accurate as possible is because we did so many samples, and from a variety of sources to emulate what the average person buys. The reason I know that other analyses aren't (or weren't at the time we printed the book) is because I'm aware of the lab that was used and the number of samples that were sent. It's common knowledge (per any lab you speak with, and any analyses you look at) that there are variables and lab errors are possible. To minimize the possible glitches, you need to send a lot of samples - and even then, it'll never be perfect because every piece of food will differ. But you can arrive at a mean this way whereas the mean of 1-3 samples can't represent much. Nothing is perfect, but we did the best possible.

Anyway, I appreciate your questions and hope I've clarified that I'm not against sharing the info. Just don't want to have it on a public forum.

Hope all of your dogs are healthy and remain that way for a long time, and really hope the info in the book will help you to help your dogs.
[notify]
Winston-dog

Sir Winston- Crazy-dog - can we play yet?

Barked: Tue Sep 11, '12 7:54pm PST 
Thanks for the explanation, and details regarding your sampling techniques. way to go
I hope Selli has recieved the information they require privately.
[notify]
"Selli"

The Muddy- Princess

Barked: Wed Sep 12, '12 11:19am PST 
Hey man, I didn't mean to upset anyone. Sorry red face. I just thought it may have been common knowledge. I know many people who will post a page from a published source as a favor.

I also wanted to see if they had the information that I need, like a full analysis including vitamins in addition to minerals.

Edited by author Wed Sep 12, '12 11:23am PST

[notify]

Mister- Jagger

YIP YAP I love- Rock and Roll!

Barked: Wed Sep 12, '12 3:16pm PST 
Selli;
Does this help? It's on the internet so is public information (I think)

http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/817?fg=Poultry+Prod ucts&man=&lfacet=&count=&max=25&sort=&qlookup=&offset=25&format=Full &new=
[notify]

Barked: Wed Sep 12, '12 5:40pm PST 
Selli, it's ok smile I'm sure you didn't mean to do anything other than get the info you need. As to vitamins - the USDA site shows the nutrients in meat without bone. So, when you see chicken neck or wing, turkey neck, etc., keep in mind that it doesn't reflect the bone. We didn't do analyses for vitamins (cost is literally in the tens of thousands to do it properly)
[notify]
Mister- Jagger

YIP YAP I love- Rock and Roll!

Barked: Sat Sep 15, '12 7:54am PST 
That's a good point about the information on USDA. You would think balancing a dog's natural diet would be easier! BOL laugh out loud
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2