GO!

What seafoods should I stay away from?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Natasha - 美花- ~Beautiful- Flower~

Let's play tag!- You're it!

Barked: Fri Aug 10, '12 12:54am PST 
I am starting to feed Natasha some raw meats. I can't go completely raw at this time, but I figured some raw is better than none.

Anyway, there is a ton of seafood sold around here. Some of it is quite...interesting(I was gonna say disgusting, but I know there are plenty of people who would disagree!), such as eel, squid, octopus, shrimp, sea urchins, clams, etc... So, I was wondering if there was anything in particular I should stay away from and never feed her. Or is it all safe? Is it ok to feed whole fish, scales and all?

Any advice is welcomed and appreciated! wave
[notify]
Olive

Lab/Rottie/Chow/- Shepherd Mix!

Barked: Fri Aug 10, '12 4:38am PST 
Hi - I'd just be sure to freeze any fish first, because it can contain worms/parasites.

I'm in Maine (coastal town) and I feed everything on that list (except sea urchin).

Edited by author Fri Aug 10, '12 4:39am PST

[notify]
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Fri Aug 10, '12 7:25am PST 
yes it's ok to feed whole fish and any thing like octopus, urchin (if you can afford it??) shrimp if your dog will have it, etc. I've fed my dogs everything on your list, lol.. they like squid but I make sure to de-ink it first, otherwise it can get messy...

I would personally stay away from fish like Tuna, Swordfish, Shark, or other large fish like that since they normally are high in Mercury.

Edited by author Fri Aug 10, '12 7:26am PST

[notify]

Natasha - 美花- ~Beautiful- Flower~

Let's play tag!- You're it!

Barked: Fri Aug 10, '12 7:41am PST 
Thanks! big grin I have two smaller fish in the freezer, I really don't know what kind they are, so I'll have to do some googling.

I actually have no idea how much the urchin costs, I just noticed them in a tub near the squids. thinking There were tons more sea critters for sale there, these are just the ones I know the names of!laugh out loud Crab and Lobster were some of the others, but they were still alive and I don't want to kill them, too squeamish. red face
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Fri Aug 10, '12 11:23am PST 
Saya loves mackerel, pacific saury also known as mackerel pike, white fish, and smelt. She has had tiny bit of squid and octopus as a treat dunno what nutrition they have she liked it though. some dogs might not like fish so buy some, but not tons unless you'll eat the fish..
[notify]
Twister

Love me.

Barked: Sat Aug 11, '12 10:03am PST 
Noo pufferfish. big grin
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Sat Aug 11, '12 4:13pm PST 
That's true and watch out with trout or salmon some can have parasites I'm not sure which don't..
[notify]
Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Sat Aug 11, '12 5:44pm PST 
I've fed the occasional salmon and even swordfish once with no problems, but it's not a regular part of their diet. When I get it, I feed it. Tried to feed shrimp once, no one would touch it so it ended up getting tossed. I thought for sure the cats would like it, but nope, no interest at all.
[notify]
Trixie

Lookin' Pretty

Barked: Sun Aug 12, '12 9:29pm PST 
I would not feed wild salmon from the Pacific. They can carry an internal parasite that is deadly to dogs. Freezing kills the parasite, but there is debate about exactly how cold your freezer needs to be, and for how long the salmon needs to be frozen. Personally, I wouldn't chance feeding raw salmon.
[notify]