GO!

Enhanced meat... Soak it or throw it?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Bella &- Cougar

Barked: Wed Aug 8, '12 5:42pm PST 
Well, I bought 60lbs worth of enhanced meat accidentally at SAMS, even though I know not to. I guess I was excited about the good prices and totally overlooked the package stating that it was enhanced. We are on day four of this meat as well as day four being back on raw and I've been soaking it, but think it might be contributing to runny poop. But, it maybe is the skin on the chicken, so after cutting it off today, I'll see if there are any changes. Either way, what do you guys think? Keep soaking or throw it out?
[notify]
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Wed Aug 8, '12 6:06pm PST 
I wouldn't throw it away. You could try soaking it and see if there's a change, and I think removing the skin would help as well. Otherwise, depending on how enhanced it is, you can feed it sparingly with non-enhanced meat in there to dilute the sodium levels.

If worst comes to worst, cook some of it and use it as treats or toppers.
[notify]
Bella &- Cougar

Barked: Thu Aug 9, '12 2:13pm PST 
If the label says "7% retained water," does that also mean that it is enhanced or is that ok to feed?
[notify]

Buddy

Giving my paw- can get me- anything!

Barked: Thu Aug 9, '12 4:07pm PST 
No, retained water does not mean it is enhanced. way to go
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Thu Aug 9, '12 5:46pm PST 
I've accidentally bought enhanced meat before...my vote is to soak it and see if your dog can tolerate it. If it's a yes, then feed it occasionally until it's gone. smile
[notify]