GO!

Nutritional analysis of meat and bones

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

"Selli"

The Muddy- Princess

Barked: Tue Aug 7, '12 3:05pm PST 
I like to feed my dogs ground up chicken and bones, typically split breasts with most of the breast meat removed. I am looking to find out what the nutritional analysis for the ground mixture, i.e., the calcium/vitamin/calorie amounts. I can't find the information anywhere.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Tue Aug 7, '12 5:58pm PST 
Monica Segal puts a couple meaty bone analysis in each of her books. Optimal Nutrition has chicken carcass which is the stuff you are getting. The online sources I had are now gone. There were a few on a BARF site and a cat site. Boo.

Max eats a lot of chicken rib sections as we buy bone in and bone it ourselves. I just feed to stool consistency and it is fine. He generally gets one half every other day along with organs. I treat it as being about 30% bone as my deliberately sloppy boning obviously leaves more meat on than something like pork ribs. With organ and red meat along side he is fine.

No, one page was found on Wayback Machine! I saved it to my computer this time.
http://web.archive.org/web/20090213125326/http://www.barfworl d.com/html/barfworld/analysis.html
[notify]
"Selli"

The Muddy- Princess

Barked: Wed Aug 8, '12 7:39am PST 
Thank you oh so much! I was afraid I was going to have to have my stuff tested and pay several hundred dollars for the testing.
[notify]

Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Wed Aug 8, '12 9:37am PST 
Saved!

Between the BARF page and Ms. Segal's books you have it made. Since all the nutrients aren't listed you might combine the bony meat analysis with the information on Nutritiondata.com for vitamin K and that sort of thing.
[notify]
Winston-dog

Sir Winston- Crazy-dog - can we play yet?

Barked: Wed Aug 8, '12 4:55pm PST 
Thanks also, I had been wondering where to find this data
[notify]