GO!

Half raw half kibble diet supplements question.

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Barked: Tue Aug 7, '12 10:28am PST 
I am feeding one meal raw and one meal is a good quality kibble. Do I put and entire days worth of supplements into the 1 raw meal or just half because the kibble is a balance meal? Also, I am getting puppy in 2 weeks. I know I am supposed to feed it 2-3% of her projected weight. Do I supplement her based on projected weight or current ideal weight?
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Tue Aug 7, '12 11:58am PST 
What supplements are you using?

If you're feeding half raw, in general I'd say give half supplements. But some things are beneficial even with kibble, so it depends on what you're giving.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Aug 9, '12 10:03am PST 
vitamin E and C, kelp powder, and fish oil.
[notify]

Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Thu Aug 9, '12 10:43am PST 
Unless you know exactly how much iodine the kelp supplement contains use half at best as excessive iodine intake is not a good thing but the rest are fine used as you would with kibble as raw is generally low in omega 3 and vitamin E. There is vitamin C in many organ meats and normal healthy dogs make their own but guessing you would like to dose the stuff more than requirement.
[notify]

Barked: Sat Aug 11, '12 3:17am PST 
I wasnt aware of that issue with the kelp powder. Good to know. Do you supplement based on current size or projected size for a puppy.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sat Aug 11, '12 9:08am PST 
We feed the adult dog so I suspect supplement the adult dog as well.

Too much iodine permanently suppresses thyroid function. Not a good thing!
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11145832
[notify]