GO!

Raw Diet and White Teeth

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Egypt

Can I play with- the ratz?

Barked: Mon Aug 6, '12 6:54pm PST 
Took dawg to vets for check-up and rabies vac. He checked her white teeth and asked if I brushed them. I said "no, i feed raw and don't need to." He said it's only a matter of time before her teeth start to stain and need cleaned. To you long time raw feeders, is this true? I've been feeding Egypt raw for 1 year now. She's only a year and three months old. Is that why her teeth are still white? Is the vet right?
[notify]
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Mon Aug 6, '12 7:32pm PST 
Nope. Your vet is uneducated about raw feeding.

"It's only a matter of time" suggests that teeth naturally just rot no matter the prevention, which is completely bogus.
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Mon Aug 6, '12 8:03pm PST 
Well, I do think at some point that most teeth will eventually begin to stain over the course of the dog's life.

But do I think they will deteriorate to the point of needing dental cleanings, or be unhealthy for the dog? Na, probably not. So long at the teeth and gums are healthy, a little staining in old age isn't the end of the world.
[notify]

Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Mon Aug 6, '12 8:09pm PST 
Agree with Mulder. Neither of my dogs have pearly blinding white teeth (I know many dogs that do, both kibble and raw fed) -- they have a bit of a yellow tint to them. But I don't think this is automatically true of all dogs. I still think genetics might have a bit to do with it. My BIL's 7yr old Weim eats Beneful for example and he has the most stunning looking, intense white teeth ever. And my cat Merlin ate Science Diet his entire life and had phenomenal teeth. On the other hand my dog Quest (childhood/teenhood dog) had horrible teeth his entire life on a similar lower-end diet. And my own dogs have good teeth, but yellow stained regardless of their diet, whether it was grain kibble, raw, grain-free kibble, etc. Even on full raw Kolbe's back teeth are a little hard to keep clean, which is why I steered away from chicken RMBs because they aren't enough for her. I think there's just too many variations regardless of diet for a vet to say X thing will absolutely happen.

Edited by author Mon Aug 6, '12 8:11pm PST

[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Mon Aug 6, '12 11:26pm PST 
I think it depends on a few different factors...including what you feed (ground patties vs. RMBs) and whether the dog has a genetic predisposition to crappy teeth (especially the smaller breeds that are prone to dental issues to begin with).

After a year of kibble, and then 2.5 years of raw, Rexy has not had a dental. Her teeth have some normal wear and tear and slight staining, but that's it.
[notify]