GO!

Coat turning red?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Sat Aug 4, '12 7:41am PST 
Mulder's coat has been burnt out (red) lately. I figured it was too much sun exposure, but was told it might be dietary if he's eating raw? I wasn't given any details, so I figured I'd ask you guys.

Its not horrible. Just mostly on his rear where the hair is longer. He lives indoors, but is out all the time training/etc. Again, figured it was the sun, but maybe you guys have other ideas? If he's lacking something in the diet?
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Sat Aug 4, '12 8:51am PST 
Check the entire hair shaft... if the entire shaft is red (dead) then it is dietary, if only the exposed part is red then it is sunburn, particularly on hair that will be shed out soon for the new Winter coat.
When showing black and/or chocolate labs at this time of year we ONLY allow them outside after sundown in the evening. Just 5 minutes of intense sun will bleach a coat.
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Sat Aug 4, '12 4:03pm PST 
Thank you Toto, this is exactly what I needed to know. Checked his, and they are only red on the top, black roots.

Looks like I'll be looking into doggie sunscreen, lol laugh out loud
[notify]