GO!

Wooowee peeeeyou!

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Layla CGN

oh the life of a- princess!

Barked: Fri Aug 3, '12 6:43am PST 
Does anyone else have stinky breath around here? Wow, Layla and Zeppelin have had horrid breath over the last few weeks. I think I know the cause, but I'm not sure if I should be concerned. Their breath really smells like bad meat, specifically chicken.

About a month ago, my aunt and my parents both killed their farm chickens (meatkings). Of course, I got to keep the carcasse and waste (yay! cheer ). Essentially, I cut up what I needed to (backs, neck, skin, feet), froze it on trays and then bagged it. Since there were almost 50 chickens, it took me several days to freeze everything (only so much room in the freezer). I ended up throwing away some of the carcasses because they smelled REALLY horrid by the end. I'm wondering if the stuff I froze the day before is what's giving them bad breath? They are eating it. But should I be worried?
[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Fri Aug 3, '12 9:36am PST 
Were they refrigerated until you could get them frozen?

How many is "several days?"
[notify]
Layla CGN

Barked: Fri Aug 3, '12 3:21pm PST 
trigger: yes everything was kept refrigerated. I threw away what I had left on the fifth day (I think) because the smell was unbearable to me.
[notify]

UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Fri Aug 3, '12 6:38pm PST 
I've fed Onyx meat that smelled a little ripe after being left in the refrigerator too long, and I noticed he'll have meat flavored burps for a day or so after.

As long as they're acting normal, and the smell clears up when you stop feeding the smelly chicken, I wouldn't be worried.
[notify]
Layla CGN

Barked: Tue Aug 7, '12 7:07am PST 
Thanks Onyx. Their breath does clear up if they don't have chicken for a few days so we should be ok. Just a bit worried that's all!
It's nice though, other than the smelly chicken, their breath doesn't stink at all way to go
[notify]