GO!

Pork Shank - tooth breaker?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Zack

Move or I'll- plough you down!- (lovingly)

Barked: Thu Aug 2, '12 2:59am PST 
Hello again.

I baught Zack a pork shank but the bone looks pretty thick, would it be too much to handle? Would the bone break his teeth with it being so thick? I'm not exactly sure what classes as a 'weight bearing' bone, would this be one of them?

He is a medium sized staffy, so although he has a powerful jaw he's not exactly a huge dog.

APPLOGIES - have found the answer to this in another post. Thanks a lot Dogster smile I do not know how to take posts down so sorry for leaving this here.

Thanks again!

Edited by author Thu Aug 2, '12 4:04am PST

[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Thu Aug 2, '12 6:27am PST 
Try a lamb shank next time if you can. They are excellent and no match for staffy jaws! My Kelpie loves them.
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Thu Aug 2, '12 11:57am PST 
Saya loves lamb shanks and lamb leg bones.. She been working on her lamb leg I let her link the marrow and gnaw on the jointed part then take it away for next time.

Saya has had pork feet no issue and bone from pork shoulder, but she only grind the jointed parts of the pork shoulder once she got to the bone.. I guess it depends..

I think someone's dog did chip tooth on pork foot, but maybe the dog chewed it too hard and tried crunch it in half like it was chicken bone.. Saya works on it slowly.

I do like lamb ribs, neck, shanks and leg though. I was lucky and store had it on sale so I got a leg and two shanks..

Butcher doesn't have lamb necks much.. :
[notify]