GO!

Anal gland issues even on raw????

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Yoshi

Yoshi - King of- puppyville

Barked: Wed Aug 1, '12 12:49pm PST 
Do any other pups have this issue? It is me, Yoshi, here and I am trying to help mom understand why I chew myself and scoot. Yes, she brings me in either to the guy that gives me shots, or the nice lady who gives me baths and they do terrible things to my backside. I do love my raw food, but this issue is presenting itself every 2 weeks! Thankfully, so mom says, I don't smell, I just boot scoot boogie & chew! Advice please?????
[notify]
Mr. Blue

I'm not blue at- all!

Barked: Wed Aug 1, '12 1:05pm PST 
Have you looked into adding fiber into the diet? Mr Blue gets slippery elm in his raw every day. One time we ran out and his anal gland ruptured, so now we keep him on it.
[notify]
Mr. Blue

I'm not blue at- all!

Barked: Wed Aug 1, '12 1:08pm PST 
Also is his stool soft? If it's too soft you may be feeding too much organ or not enough bone. Soft stool is hard on the anal glands. Have them show you how to massage the glands at home and do it every day.
[notify]

Mr. Blue

I'm not blue at- all!

Barked: Wed Aug 1, '12 1:09pm PST 
OOPS one more thing! Have you ruled out worms?
[notify]
Yoshi

Barked: Wed Aug 1, '12 2:30pm PST 
Stool is hard, which is why I'm so confused why this keeps happening.
[notify]
Mr. Blue

I'm not blue at- all!

Barked: Wed Aug 1, '12 2:35pm PST 
My advice would be massage daily at home and rule out worms.
[notify]
Yoshi

Barked: Wed Aug 1, '12 2:41pm PST 
No worms, thankfully!
[notify]
Duke

I'm king of the- world!

Barked: Wed Aug 1, '12 3:00pm PST 
Any indications of a food allergy? (red skin, red eyes, flaky skin, goopy eyes, goopy/smelly ears, biting paws, general itchiness)

Duke had terrible anal gland issues when he started on raw, something he had NEVER experienced before. Turns out it was due to a food allergy. He had all of the above issues, including nasty anal glands, until I stopped feeding the offending proteins (chicken and lamb).

Just a thought.
[notify]
Yoshi

Barked: Wed Aug 1, '12 3:20pm PST 
No other symptoms.
[notify]
Cookie

the chi-weenie

Barked: Wed Aug 1, '12 4:51pm PST 
my dog has always needed her anal glands expressed routinely no matter what she ate...
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2