GO!

4-D meat

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Fri Aug 3, '12 10:45am PST 
The scrap that I used to get for free was never anything I myself would eat. It was usually covered with that slimy sort of fat, and blood clots galore. The dogs loved it though.
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Fri Aug 3, '12 6:32pm PST 
Same here Charlie...the scraps I've gotten from the abattoir and game cutter have all been stuff that I would not eat myself...but then Rexy really doesn't care if it's bloodshot or slimy with blood!

Layla, that is pricey scrap! Where are you located that has such high prices?
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Fri Aug 3, '12 10:37pm PST 
I am paying about the same as Layla which is $5 a kilo (about 2lbs), it was the cheapest price I could find (trim though not actual scraps covered in gore) ... offcuts runs anywhere from $8 to $14 dollars per kg around here because the butchers grind it up and sell it to people (yuck I know, some of it doesn't look too good, at least I know it's human grade trim). I won't pay that I could buy the actual grind for cheaper. My butcher is the cheapest I ever found, he also sold me 6 lamb hearts for $2 once so hopefully I can continue to feed raw when I move, it seems a lot of butchers are cashing in on this new 'fashion'.

All the beef is grass fed though which is a plus, I see them in the paddocks every day so I know what we are all eating. The idea of feedlot beef is just yuck to me.

I have never been game to pick up roadkill because I don't know how long it's been sitting there but I see dead roos as well as sheep and calves that fell off trucks every week, I haven't got anywhere to store it either ... I hate the waste though.

Once a parrot had a heart attack and fell at Jackson's feet and I still left it lol. I guess I'm a wuss!
[notify]

Tessa- Sue~*In- loving- memory*~

Gone. But the- ledgend lives on

Barked: Sat Aug 4, '12 6:18am PST 
Jackson. The best way to tell with sheep of calves is by pressing on their stomach. If it feels tight like an inflated baloon then it has been there too long.

The last deer I picked up couldn't have been anymore than an hour old. It had been hit but didn't die so they slit it's throat. It was pregnant with triplets frown
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Sat Aug 4, '12 6:27pm PST 
I think I saw your pics of that on benefits of raw feeding on fb (unless it was someone else who had deer triplets!) I was glad their lives weren't wasted.

Thanks for the advice!
[notify]
Tessa- Sue~*In- loving- memory*~

Gone. But the- ledgend lives on

Barked: Mon Aug 6, '12 10:31am PST 
Nope, wasn't me.
I don't do facebook
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Mon Aug 6, '12 6:52pm PST 
What an odd coincidence ...
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Mon Aug 6, '12 9:02pm PST 
I'm glad the beef is grass fed it's worth the money..

I'm lucky there is farmers around here who raise their animals right there is also some who don't raise them right.. Drive past a pig farm it smells horrible I mean the kind where the pigs are in closed big building..

I get chicken feet and now chicken heads from this one farmer she raises chickens, pork, turkey and now ducks and the smell is amazing with the animals she has it doesn't smell anything like those closed in chicken or pig farms.

She only does farm pick ups so people who buy her meat will see how the animals are raised and stuff which is nice though it's bit of a drive, but kinda nice driving to it.

I might get chicken or two one for Saya and one for making chicken soup..
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Mon Aug 6, '12 11:27pm PST 
Everything I've gotten from my co-op so far (lamb heart, kidney and liver) has been processed for human consumption and is packaged for sale by the processor. In fact, I saw meat from the same farm for sale at a local farm stand for a very expensive price!
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Tue Aug 7, '12 11:56pm PST 
"Drive past a pig farm it smells horrible I mean the kind where the pigs are in closed big building.. "

Oh tell me about it Saya! I used to live in a town with a piggery and the whole town smelled like that even the inside of my house. When I inspected it I asked the real estate agent "why does this house smell like $h!t?" and he told me I would get used to it. Guess what? YOU NEVER GET USED TO IT! I took it for a whole year then moved it was just so bad. Plus there was a lot of cruelty at the pig farm too, people used to beat the pigs etc. I was really turned off pork after that. It's actually really hard to find people who will raise pigs correctly. Jackson does not eat a lot of pork and neither do I, I feel safer with the grass fed beef we get.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2