GO!

Raw Diet Cross Contamination?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Barked: Tue Jul 24, '12 6:25am PST 
Hey Everybody,

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I just put my 6 month old on the raw diet, and I'm a bit concerned about the bacteria factor. If I feed my puppy outside and she rolls around in the grass after isn't she spreading bacteria all over the lawn? What If she gets it on her fur? Please excuse my ignorance, perhaps I'm just looking for some assurance.
[notify]
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Tue Jul 24, '12 8:41am PST 
Hi guest smile. If you're feeding raw and bacteria is passing through your dogs body, then you can expect it to also be on your lawn where your dog poops. It may also spread to his muzzle, fur, etc.

The thing to remember is that 1) Bacteria is EVERYWHERE, and 2) the amount of bacteria of appropriately fresh raw meat should not be a threat to you.

I'm a believer that exposing ourselves to little bits of something over long periods of times helps us form immunities. I have been feeding raw for 2 years, and nowadays I rarely use antibacterial soap. I also let my dogs lick my face. I've never gotten sick once.

Check your dog's food for funky smells and you'll be fine.
[notify]
Keira

Mommy's Girl

Barked: Tue Jul 24, '12 10:07am PST 
Hi guest! I agree with Charlie-- I have two young children, and all 7 of my pets are raw fed. That is-- 3 dogs, 2 cats. I just use good old soap and water after preparing food, washing my hands... and on occasion to clean food out of my Mini Poodles muzzle hair-- when his facial hair grows out some. We've had no problems with any kinds of food borne illness. Naturally, if someone in your household has a weakened immune system, then you would need to take a bit more care when cleaning.
[notify]

Hula

This is MY- stuffie!

Barked: Tue Jul 24, '12 12:30pm PST 
I'm in total agreement with previous posts. I have two small children and raw feed 2 cats and a dog. I take the same precautions as when I prepare meat for my family. The only difference is I have a separate cutting board for my pets and my pets eat on towels. I use a 50/50 vinegar water mixture along with a few drops of orange oil for clean up.
[notify]

Barked: Mon Aug 6, '12 10:50am PST 
Just thought you might want to read this. I don't feed raw but I know a lot of people do.

http://www.wusa9.com/news/article/215378/28/AVMA-Passes-Resol ution-Discouraging-Raw-Pet-Diets
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Mon Aug 6, '12 9:02pm PST 
You might care to read this article.
http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter/is-a-raw-diet-dangero us/

That resolution was composed by a panel with at least one member an employee of a pet food company and the Delta decision was heavily influenced by a large donation and another pet food company employee on that board.

They are getting a bit concerned that some pet owners are leaving the flock of believers in their sales pitch.
[notify]