GO!

Bone Meal Recommendations Needed

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Josie

I\'m all ears!

Barked: Mon Jun 25, '12 3:04pm PST 
I was using Solid Gold bone meal, but when I ran out this week I discovered it's been discontinued! shock

Do you have any suggestions for another brand to use? I was thinking of NOW or Kal brands.

(My dogs get mostly real bones for their bone intake, but one of them in particular needs bone-meal sprinkled on his boneless meals else he gets runny poo.)
[notify]
Brody

Tiny boy, but he- has a huge- heart!

Barked: Tue Jun 26, '12 5:53am PST 
You could use egg shells as well. I now there has been some controversy over bone meal and its high lead content. I'd probably try to use dried and pulverized egg shells.
[notify]
Meridian

Proud to be a- kitchen wolf!!!

Barked: Tue Jun 26, '12 11:33pm PST 
Egg shell is about 97% calcium carbonate whereas bone is a network of not only calcium, but other minerals (phosphorus being a big part), collagen, and (in ones that apply), marrow, which contains fats and other nutrients.The elemental calcium content of eggshell is about 40% with hardly any phosphorus, whereas that in bone is is about 30% and contains a hefty amount of phosphorus, too. In other words, they're not equal from a nutritional standpoint. The processed nature of bone meal I can only imagine means compromised nutrition, but it's still better than eggshell if you insist on using a ground product.

The safety of bone meal is definitely a legitimate one -- many do contain high amounts of heavy metals like lead and are really not fit for food. If you rely on it as part of your diet plan, best to seek out another source. (I wonder why Solid Gold stopped offering it? Their product was a good one, IMO.) Look for FOOD GRADE bone meal. I used to work in a place that sold the NOW brand, and I'd trust them. Haven't heard of Kal.
[notify]