GO!

Ground meat from grocery store?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

WALTER

Barked: Sat Jun 23, '12 7:14am PST 
I bought a large amount of raw food from a co-op but am getting a little low. My guys get chicken quarters and turkey necks, so they do get their fair share of bones. I bought some HK Preference and was wondering if it is OK to add raw ground meat from the grocery store every once in a while. I've heard some say it is not good because ground meat can have more bacteria.
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Sat Jun 23, '12 7:58am PST 
Its not something I would do on a regular basis, but if you're running low and need to get some meat before stocking up, then yeah, it should be fine.
[notify]
Duke

I'm king of the- world!

Barked: Sat Jun 23, '12 9:32am PST 
I feed ground meat all the time and have never had issue with it. When a friend offered me ~70 lb of tubed hamburger from cattle raised on her family's farm, I wasn't going to turn down the free, grass-fed beef!

You can get creative with ground meat. I stuff it in Kongs a lot. I also thaw several tubes at a time, then make big patties and freeze on a cookie sheet, then toss the frozen patties in a freezer bag. Duke gets the patties frozen. Working on the frozen meat helps clean his teeth, plus it takes a lot longer to eat than just swallowing a ball of raw hamburger in 3 seconds.
[notify]

Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Sat Jun 23, '12 10:00am PST 
To clarify, I have no problem with ground meat and the majority of beef that I feed comes in a grind from a local company.

My issue is with it being grocery store. The whole "pink slime" thing has me very paranoid about GS ground beef, for myself of course, but for the animals as well. I wont feed it to mine if I have a better option.
[notify]
Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Sat Jun 23, '12 10:16am PST 
I am a bit paranoid about the "pink slime" and the amount of bacteria that can be present in commercially ground meat, but, I will still feed it. It's often a whole $1 more than what I usually buy, though, so I only use it when I steal a pinch from whatever is bought for the humans. I think I've only bought ground meat for Conker once, not including things like green tripe, which is obviously not for people.
[notify]
Keira

Mommy's Girl

Barked: Sun Jun 24, '12 3:14am PST 
I feed it maybe once every couple of weeks-- usually when I am making meatloaf or burgers. They don't get it often, but I use what I need and then feed them the rest. They seem to think it's a treat big grin
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Sun Jun 24, '12 4:07am PST 
Sometimes my butcher sells me a big 5kg bag of 'iffy' mince (past use by but still okay for dogs) for $2, and I just can't pass up that deal. JT LOVES mince. I stuff chicken backs with it so he still has to chew. If the price is right I'll buy it no problems.
[notify]