GO!

Beef Marrow bones good or bad?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Sabrina

Want a free foot- wash?

Barked: Fri Jun 22, '12 4:11pm PST 
We used to buy Sugar and Sabrina whole pig feet to clean up their teeth (for Sabrina's teeth mostly). All the stores around us stopped selling whole feet, so we picked up a 6 pack of beef marrow bones at our vet's office today. I knew they tend to cause the runs, but I am now reading they are considered wreck bones?! I honestly don't know what is safe and good for teeth cleaning anymore. Sugar is a pretty heavy chewer, and once nearly ate an entire rack of pork ribs, bone and all. So this makes me nervous, even though Sabrina is the one with plaque issues.

What do you think, skip the bones or feed them with supervision?
[notify]
Cookie

the chi-weenie

Barked: Fri Jun 22, '12 4:21pm PST 
that sucks about your pig feet.

beef marrow bones.. I got some once. they were cut short about a couple inches long each. I let my dog lick the marrow out but there wasn't much meat on them. She keeps hers because she's not a hard chewer but for dogs who think they have to chew something till it's destroyed, well a cow femur will break their tooth before they can break the cow femur so that is why they're called wreck bones.

If your looking for something to clean their teeth. you can look for beef marrow bones at the store? I found some recently they were sliced into about 6 pieces and had good amount of meat on them for a little dog. It's actually the tearing and chewing of the skin and meat that cleans their teeth. as opposed to the bones. So maybe you can find that or even chicken thighs (if the dogs are small??). chicken thighs are pretty cheap and with the skin on they can be good teeth cleaners, skin is really chewy. so the dogs really have to chew and grind it with their back teeth... but maybe a thigh is too small for your dog...
[notify]
Cookie

the chi-weenie

Barked: Fri Jun 22, '12 4:23pm PST 
Oh!! and if you have any ethnic markets around, maybe you can look for chicken feet?
[notify]

Sabrina

Want a free foot- wash?

Barked: Fri Jun 22, '12 4:43pm PST 
Thanks Cookie! Sugar is 73 lbs and Sabrina is 10 lbs. The marrow bones I bought are only about 1-2 inches long. I guess they really wouldn't help out too much with their teeth anyway. That's kind of a bummer. I was in a bit of a hurry, but they also had turkey necks and either a pork or beef shoulder. I think they are all Primal brand. Maybe I will just scoop out the marrow for a treat instead.

I will look next time I'm at the store too. Do you think skin and bone-in chicken thighs would be helpful at all, compared to say a turkey neck?

Edited by author Fri Jun 22, '12 4:44pm PST

[notify]
Cookie

the chi-weenie

Barked: Fri Jun 22, '12 5:32pm PST 
yes I do, but part of it depends on your dog's eating habits. I have watched Cookie (she is 9 lbs) eat lots of chicken, wings, breast, necks, thighs, feet..
and I'm still kind of experimenting with good teeth cleaners too because I feed my dog mostly a pre-made complete ground raw mix. sometimes chicken necks have skin on them, but the skin kind of hangs off. on the thighs, they are a more heafty piece and the skin is well attached so she tends to really have to chew the skin off and I think there's just more 'chewing' than just crunching and down the hatch. depending on cost, you should probably just try stuff out and watch the dogs to figure out what works best. I've always imagined that having to rip meat off of a big inedible bone would be the best for teeth, but I could never afford to buy anything with a big bone in it... there's lots of youtube vidoes of dogs eating different raw meats, that might be a good resource for seeing which meats require a lot of chewing (ripping grinding etc). in fact I think I may go do a youtube search right now. xD
[notify]
Cookie

the chi-weenie

Barked: Fri Jun 22, '12 5:49pm PST 
Hey! why don't you just buy a whole chicken? ^^ they always seem to be available for the best price and you could just chop that thing up into quarters. you know what I mean? that's got great potential for teeth cleaning at a great price.
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Fri Jun 22, '12 6:09pm PST 
I won't feed them.

Marrow bones in general are considered "wreck" bones because they are very dense weight bearing bones and so have the potential to chip or crack teeth.

It's a know thy dog situation...some dogs are fine with these bones and will chew off the meat scraps and scoop out the marrow while others will try to consume the entire thing.

BUT, when I am talking about marrow bones, I am talking about the ones that are at least 6 inches in length. The size you are getting them in is going to be a choking hazard for the majority of dogs...I would be staying far away from those.

Entire chickens (or turkeys) portioned out into meal sized pieces would be a better plan. For hot summer days you can consider feeding it frozen (feeding frozen can also slow down fast eaters). smile
[notify]
Duke

I'm king of the- world!

Barked: Sat Jun 23, '12 9:15am PST 
Agree with Rexy. It's all about knowing your dog.

Duke regularly gets beef shank/soup bones, which are about 2-3" thick and maybe 4-6" in diameter. He chews off all the meat, scrapes the bone clean and then digs out the marrow. He never tries chomping down on the hard bone or even putting it in his mouth. So for him, these bones are a great workout and tooth-cleaner! But Duke respects bone and not all dogs do.

Also, I usually feed these frozen. It lasts a lot longer that way. Duke will lick the meat until it's thawed to his satisfaction, then start working away at the meat.
[notify]
Sabrina

Want a free foot- wash?

Barked: Sat Jun 23, '12 4:11pm PST 
Thanks for all the great replies! Since I don't regularly feed raw, my idea of what kind of chewers they are isn't real sharp. I know Sugar does crunch right through a lot of bones, Sabrina I never really noticed her trying to to that though.

Does anyone know if I can just scoop out the marrow and feed a little at a time as a treat instead?
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sat Jun 23, '12 5:16pm PST 
If there is meat on the marrow bones that your little dog can get then it is okay but sounds like marrow bones are a no-no for the big dog.

Marrow is fat, plain and simple. Fat is yummy. A sudden increase of fat in the diet can cause trouble. Either simple soft to really awful poop or more serious - trigger a pancreatitis episode. Do offer it up to the dogs but be mindful of the size of the dog and the size of the serving. I would save beef and lamb fat for Sassy's food and a 1/2" chunk would increase the fat content of her food from 23% to about 28% by calories if I am remembering correctly [12-14% by weight which is the way kibble bags read]. That was in 1000 calories a day, your small dog would get a bit the size of a pea or so and your big dog about that 1/2" cube for about the same change in diet.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2