GO!

Is this a good price for lamb?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Fri Jun 22, '12 1:37pm PST 
I've never been able to offer Farles lamb because it's crazy expensive here, and I've only ever seen parts sold in the store (ribs, shank, chops, etc).

Anyway, my friend's dad that gives us tons of free, wild moose meat every year, has a local farm source where I can get a whole 80-lb lamb for around $200, maybe cheaper.

$2.50/lb is more than I spend on any of Farley's food now, but I'm wondering if that's a decent deal for an entire lamb.

Thanks wave
[notify]
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Fri Jun 22, '12 2:03pm PST 
I think that's fantastic. The cheapest I ever saw was around that price for a whole lamb up in New York. Since I've moved south, I can't find lamb, even whole, below $5/lb.
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Fri Jun 22, '12 3:11pm PST 
I agree with Charlie that that is a fantastic price! The prices around here don't even come close to that...

While it may not be something that you can afford to feed regularly, you could feed it as an occasional protein.

Would you be getting the lamb whole? Are you planning on offering the entire carcass to Farley? smile
[notify]

Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Fri Jun 22, '12 3:17pm PST 
Lowest I've seen was $3 for "stew meat". I used to buy that and put a chunk in every meal instead of feed as a while meal, since it was a bit pricey. but I haven't seen it lower than $5 a pound lately. All the meat prices in my area have gone up in the past few months, it's rather unfortunate.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Fri Jun 22, '12 5:16pm PST 
$2.50 a pound is terrific for a whole animal. The wool and lower legs might be a pass though everything else is worth offering. Max highly recommends the head if you are up to it. The innards would be an outside treat where you can wash the area down easily.

I got a couple of leg of lambs for $2 a pound 4 years ago. Haven't stopped checking that clearance bin yet. There is an ethnic market around here that will have leg of lamb for $3 a pound so I do a terrible job of boning them and Max gets the bones and we get the meat. Max won't eat much of the bone so it isn't too bony for him.
[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Fri Jun 22, '12 11:48pm PST 
Thanks for the input!

I'm not sure if I would offer it whole- it would be way too much food, plus it'd be a pain in the butt to try and keep it from spoiling during the summer. Our summers get quite hot here and even though we get very cold winters they can be erratic.
Last winter I had an entire moose ribcage covered in meat and I just kept it outside for a couple weeks and let Farley gorge on it whenever he wanted. Thing was, it'd be -20 degrees Celsius one day, then 8 degrees Celsius the next day and it would start thawing and getting gross. So even in the winter I don't know if keeping a whole lamb for him to eat through outside would be feasible.

I think I would maybe have it cut into large pieces- even then I'll have trouble storing it.. we have an 8 cubic foot freezer for Farley and it's full to the brim! naughty
I may have to hold off on the lamb for a while but at least I know I can get a whole one for a pretty good price! puppy

Edited by author Fri Jun 22, '12 11:50pm PST

[notify]