GO!

What made u switch to raw?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 7: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '12 8:26am PST 
Well we still feed kibble here but so many people are switching over to raw food diet for their dogs. What about raw made you switch over from kibble? Just curious
[notify]
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '12 8:59am PST 
I originally switched Charlie to raw because as a puppy he had a terrible time with commercial kibbles. I have no explanation for it, but he was skinny and lanky and wouldn't put on any muscle or fat. He was also pooping an outrageous amount per day, and I assumed that his body wasn't absorbing nutrients correctly. We put him on the raw diet and within a few months, he bulked up significantly. Now he's one of the most well muscled dogs I've ever seen. He also only poops 1-2 times per day, depending on what he eats, and it's small and compact.

We're now 2 years into raw, and I have to admit that the most important benefit to us is the natural dental cleaning. We never have to brush their teeth, but there isn't a spec of tartar there.
[notify]
Hula

This is MY- stuffie!

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '12 9:35am PST 
When we first met Hula, she was just gross. Grossly overweight, greasy, itchy, smelly ...I almost didn't adopt her. But she looked at me with those pleading eyes and I knew there was a way I could fix her. I have a close friend who feeds a BARF type diet so she coached me. About a month later she wasn't doing very well with the fruits,dairy, and veggies, so we went prey model. I've never looked back. She is a completely different dog. No smell, no bad breath, no itching, lean body, lots of muscle...and lots of smiles!!!
[notify]

Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '12 10:00am PST 
Wow Hula thats amazing and Charlie looks good also. I was thinking about doing maybe raw but I do know if i have enough time to prepare meals and such. I really like the thought of having clean teeth and no smelly breath. Hmm maybe i should look into it a little more maybe in the future. thinking

Edited by author Wed Jun 20, '12 10:02am PST

[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '12 10:32am PST 
I bought my last dog from a shelter in New Orleans while I was going to school there. The shelter sent me home with Science Diet and since I knew nothing about different kibbles, I fed that until it was nearly gone. Then I think I bought Eukanuba to transfer him over to because my second Golden's breeder had recommended that food.

After a while I noticed he was scratching all the time. So I took him to the vet who recommended a better food and sold me a bag of Solid Gold. So from there I started researching kibbles and eventually started feeding Blue Wilderness. Along the way I discovered raw and kept reading about how great it was. At first I thought there was no way I could afford it when I looked at the steaks in the grocery store. But eventually I learned how to make it doable and make the switch in 2009. Been feeding raw ever since.

The funny thing is, I'm pretty sure my shelter dog doesn't even have a food allergy. After the vet sold me that kibble, I realized he had fleas I hadn't seen because he's mostly black. Not sure how the vet missed that unless he just wanted to sell me that expensive food, but it worked out in the end.

Even though my dog didn't actually have a problem, I still noticed big improvements in his health when I switched. The no doggy breath is a big one and gets the most comments. Many people think (myself once included) think it's the normal way of things for dogs to have stinky breath and it absolutely isn't. I love being able to let my dogs' faces near mine without cringing away. Shiny coat is another one that people notice. I had someone ask me if I put something in Onyx's coat to make it look that way! Healthy inside = healthy outside. Plus the lean muscle (which most people equate to the dog being too skinny), energy, clean teeth, fewer poops, and just the enjoyment they get from each meal are all great puppy
[notify]
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '12 10:47am PST 
Thanks for all the info Onyx. He is beautiful by the way. wave Im slowly starting to think about it. My only problem is being a full time student and working full time its about figuring out how to have time i guess. Most of the days my mom will feel the girls when she gets home from work, but in the fall classes start back up and i wont be able to be home until about 10pm. The last thing my mom wants to do is touch and feed the dog something raw she will look at it like eek and ask me if i lost my mind. big laugh
[notify]
Sita CGC- SD(mostly- retired)

When we seeing- the ponies?!

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '12 11:00am PST 
My vet actually recommended switching Sita to raw. She had some allergies & we had just had her teeth cleaned. I mentioned how freaked out I was the whole time she was at the vet ( Sita's my service dog). My vet said switching her to raw would clear up the allergies & I won't ever have to put her under for a dental again! I love it! She's been on for almost a year & no more ear infections or constant itching. I started Tia on raw the second I got her home.
[notify]
Keira

Mommy's Girl

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '12 11:55am PST 
For us, it was allergies. Keira and Caesar (RIP) were both allergic to EVERYTHING. I switched Keira first, to make sure I could do it... but Caesar passed of an unexpected cancer diagnosis a week after he started his. His death strengthened my resolve to feed my dogs as healthily as I could. It's been almost 6 months since we started out smile
I started Bruce on raw the day after he came home at 8 weeks old, and our newest, 2 1/2 year old Jezabel started prey model raw when she came home on the 3rd. Jezzie was previously on preground raw at her former home, but she was never given any bones to chew and her teeth and breath were disgusting. almost 3 weeks into raw here, and her tartar is receding and her breath is fresh! We have had fabulous results-- no allergy problems, no digestion issues, and 3 very healthy dogs! smile
[notify]
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '12 12:32pm PST 
Kashmir, the raw diet can be rather overwhelming at the start, but if you're ever interested in doing just partial raw or the diet altogether, feel free to ask in this forum! The raw feeders here are incredibly knowledgeable and helpful, and will guide you along every step of the way.

And partial raw is a great way to reap the dental benefits of raw while still in your comfort zone.
[notify]
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '12 12:38pm PST 
Thanks Charlie. I am looking at the benefits and they seem very good so far. Less allergies and gorgous skin and coat, clean breath and healthy teeth. Im think im going to look into partial raw and see how it goes.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 7: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7