GO!

Old Game Meat

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Tue Jun 19, '12 1:24pm PST 
In my freezer there are professionally packaged in freezer paper meat from elk and antelope. They are steaks, sausage and ham burger meat. The dates range in 2009-2010.

Is this too old? I was not going to feed it raw since wild animals can have parasites. I was thinking I should thaw one out and cook it up for my dog.
[notify]
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Tue Jun 19, '12 1:33pm PST 
As long as they have been frozen that entire time, they are fine. People here have fed meat that's 5-10 years old before laugh out loud.

Parasites will die if frozen for that long, not to mention that parasites exist in the organs (liver, stomach and intestines) and not in the meat.

Edit: I missed that you said sausage. I avoid feeding sausage or any spiced meats because it can give dogs some loose stools.

Edited by author Tue Jun 19, '12 1:33pm PST

[notify]
Tessa- Sue~*In- loving- memory*~

Gone. But the- ledgend lives on

Barked: Tue Jun 19, '12 2:48pm PST 
I fed my dogs some 20 year old meat.

It'll be totally fine wink
[notify]

Barked: Tue Jun 19, '12 11:30pm PST 
Not all parasites die from freezing even long times, some will go dormant.
[notify]