GO!

Supplementing with Salmon

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Juno

Village Mutt

Barked: Sun Jun 17, '12 5:06pm PST 
Hi,

We catch way more salmon than we can eat and were thinking of starting our dogs on a half-kibble and half-salmon diet.

How would that be for a moderately-active lab and sheltie mix? I know salmon is a staple for mushing dogs diets here.

Also, would boiling it be the preferred method of cooking? I want to make sure the bones are soft enough to not get stuck in their throats. That can be annoying! shock
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sun Jun 17, '12 8:21pm PST 
We say feed it raw [IF you are in Alaska that is]. Pacific Northwest salmon can carry a deadly parasite that easily kills dogs that eat raw salmon.

I would bone it after simmering til done if you cook it and would substitute about 25% of the calories for the kibble, no more. The only wet cooked salmon on nutritiondata is coho which is 52 calories per ounce. Do use the cooking liquid as well.

Lucky dog, sounds like a great mix in.
[notify]
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Sun Jun 17, '12 8:24pm PST 
As Maxwell said, salmon from the Pacific Ocean can be deadly. We feed Atlantic salmon, but I suspect it is farmed, so we only feed it once every couple weeks. Wild salmon of non-Pacific decent is fine to feed often.

If you want to do it raw, feel free to give them any part of the fish. We do whole heads for our dogs and they love them.
[notify]

Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Sun Jun 17, '12 10:03pm PST 
If you freeze PNW salmon solid and keep it frozen solid for a minimum of 2 weeks, it is fine to feed raw.

The fluke dies from the freezing and the organism inside the fluke dies as well, once dead it cannot cause salmon sickness.
[notify]
Juno

Village Mutt

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '12 1:03pm PST 
Awesome, thanks! Cool that they can eat any part of it, too. No waste.
[notify]