GO!

My dogs are barfing on barf diet

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 4 of 4: Viewing entries 31 to 38)  
1  2  3  4  
DustyCoal

glad we have- each other

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '12 10:31am PST 
What I can get from my local meat butcher is beef bones, heart tongue and liver. I have been feeding the boys liver about about every third day. I have been giving them beef bones but they are large knuckle bones. The knee joints (I call them knuckles) They chew into the center of the soft bone area pretty good. But last week they didnt butcher any cows so this week we're out of bones. I am in a remote area without many resources for fresh beef but I am working on that. So far my guys won't even touch ground venison. I don't know how they would like a fresh carcass.

I don't see much mention about turkey. Wouldn't that be better than chicken since the bones are larger?
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '12 4:15pm PST 
How much liver? Dogs need it but they need a tiny bit of it. Three days worth of liver for 38 pound Max is all of 1.5 ounces. For your big guys 10 ounces of organ for 3 days but only half should be liver.

If you are butchering cows then save everything! Any organs for sure and the stomachs alone are a prize. The trachea/heart/lungs is really great stuff. Heads are Max's favorite meals. He worked for 4 days on llama heads and would have worked longer but the ick factor was getting up there for me. The neck would be a really great meal for them. Lovely meat and hard to get at. If you do a lousy job of trimming the carcass the dogs can help you clean up. I draw the line at stuff that looks as fatty as bacon however.

Turkey would be terrific for your dogs. Max does fine on it and he is a 38 pound senior. Feet and heads are good if you can get them too. Heads attached to necks better as the shape just seems like a bad idea for an eager dog.
[notify]
Hula

This is MY- stuffie!

Barked: Thu Jun 21, '12 8:06am PST 
I would skip the beef bones all together. The weight bearing bones of large animals are a teeth breaking hazard. I give Hula beef ribs every once in awhile for the mental stimulation, but once she cleans off the meat, the bones get pitched. Pork is different though. Almost every pork bone is edible for medium to large dogs. Hula loves pork ribs and I don't have to worry about taking those away.
[notify]

DustyCoal

glad we have- each other

Barked: Thu Jun 21, '12 9:05am PST 
If I was butchering cows I would save everything but I'm not. (I wish!) I have a small chicken farm and I butcher chickens, occassionally I cull a few. Im working on getting cages built for rabbits and raise them to feed the dogs. But my property is not all fenced so Im not able to raise beef just yet. Maybe in time we can fence the property. Right now my only resource is dealing with our local butcher shop.

Our butcher shop is throwing everything together in a box. heart, tongue and liver. They will not give me the lungs said it was illegal? hmmmm. I have been trading the meat scraps for eggs when they need eggs other wise I pay per pound. The beef bones I get for free, they throw them away. But now I shouldn't give the dogs beef bones? I think its time to get a book because its getting confusing.

My boys have not thrown up all week now. Since my husband chopped down all that Spiderwort plant that was in their yard area. I think that was the problem.

Coal is bouncing back from his Lymes disease really great. Third day now on meds and no more limping and the pain seems to have settled down for him. Last night he insisted on playing ball and making up for lost time. But we still have to limit him because I think he still looks weak and don't want him to over do it too fast. His mind says play hard but body says take it easy.

Also, I was thinking about calcium. I might start saving egg shells and grinding them up into a powder to sprinkle on their food. I don't give them raw eggs after reading it causes a biotin deficiency. Some say nonsense. But I have noticed stomach upset after giving them raw eggs.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Thu Jun 21, '12 9:30am PST 
Too bad, I saw butchering and was hoping it was you doing it. Maybe you could buy a whole animal and do the job yourself sometime. Something like a lamb can be gutted and cut 6 ways, not a big job. The heads Max gets aren't skinned or anything.

Some dogs can eat beef ribs and tail safely and some cannot. I suspect the spines on the necks and shoulder blade would be fine as well but haven't ever offered those to Max. Never offer leg bones if your guys try to eat them. If they are pulling meat off it is fine but gnawing not okay.

Just chicken for bone is fine though. Giving bigger bits is probably all you need to do. You don't have to feed calcium daily, only if you see that enough bone isn't going in over a week's time use the egg shell.

Lots of eggs could be a problem for any dog. They are rich stuff. Probably 3-4 a week is a good amount for big dogs. Max gets 1-2 if I remember but usually gets them only if a meal is a bit smaller than I think appropriate for that day.
[notify]
DustyCoal

glad we have- each other

Barked: Thu Jun 21, '12 11:05am PST 
Thanks so much! I am beginning to understand more about the meat/bone ratio. Also, I think I was feeding too much liver so I am going to cut back on that to.
[notify]
Hula

This is MY- stuffie!

Barked: Thu Jun 21, '12 2:08pm PST 
How lucky for you that you get beef tongue! They want $15 a piece here! That is a great meat to feed btw.
As far as beef bones, all of my raw feeding gurus say to never feed beef bones. They are too dense and will break teeth. Period. If you are following the 80% meat, 10% bone, 5% liver, and 5% other organs...then you should be ok on calcium. Hula gets 10oz of food per day. 10 % of that is 1 oz per day. Since that is not reasonable, I give her one bony meal a week - 7 oz. of bone. Pork ribs are great, pigs tails, lamb ribs, goat ribs. Of course you don't want to throw in a different protein until they have been acclimated to the diet, but ribs rock for bony meals!
[notify]
Dante

Barked: Fri Aug 8, '14 9:36pm PST 
Hi I feed raw mostly thighs (chicken) with bones intact. My boy occasionally vomits..but here is the big question. First, how old are your dogs? Do they have the ability to chew chicken bones? If in doubt try just the little bones on say a chicken back with the meat intact to start. Thebig thing was you said only 2nd time on bones? Did you realize they need bones in every meal or a supplement for calcuim/phosphorus etc if not almost every meal? Yes I was super scared EVERY time at the beginning when I adopted my dog when he was eating raw chicken bones
.it goes against EVERYTHING I had ever heard. But he was one this diet due to his severe allegies to grains..so NO dog food for my guy at all..or he gets what's called boxer colitis
[notify]
  (Page 4 of 4: Viewing entries 31 to 38)  
1  2  3  4