GO!

My dogs are barfing on barf diet

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
DustyCoal

glad we have- each other

Barked: Sun Jun 17, '12 5:15am PST 
I started feeding my boys raw meat and bones about a month now. Friday night I butchered a fresh chicken for their breakfast on Saturday. The only bones I gave them where the neck, leg and thigh bones. Yesterday afternoon, one of my boys threw up a pile of pieces of small chicken bones. I was afraid to do this to begin with, feed them chicken bones but I see everyone telling how its ok. I have mixed feelings. This is actually the second time they had the raw chicken bones. They didnt throw up the first time. But now I dont think they should eat raw chicken bones. Since I been feeding the raw meat diet, my dogs have been eating more grass and throwing up yellow bile a lot. Almost daily. Im concerned, frustrated and wondering if I should not be feeding them raw meats. Did anyone else have this issue?

Brenda, Mom to Dusty and Coal
[notify]
Gray Dawn- Treader

Don\\\'t Tread- on me

Barked: Sun Jun 17, '12 5:48am PST 
Chicken necks are rather small for Labs, I'd think. If they are swallowing the bones quickly without really chewing them, this can cause them up regurgitate later on. I'd avoid the small RMBs. Or maybe keep the chicken neck attached to the body when you feed it so they can't just scarf it down.

I'm sure there's more than one possible reason, but if you aren't feeding them consistently at the same time every day I know this can cause them to puke bile.

To be honest, doesn't sound like you're really having a lot of problems to me. I'd consider this stuff minor and easily remedied.
I have dealt with both of the issues you mentioned before. I don't know a ton about the causes of throwing up bile, but the feedback from members on this forum is invaluable.

Edited by author Sun Jun 17, '12 5:53am PST

[notify]
DustyCoal

glad we have- each other

Barked: Sun Jun 17, '12 7:11am PST 
Thanks for your feedback. Back when I was feeding kibble (grain wasn't the first four ingredients on label) I was feeding once a day. The vet told me to dived the meals into feeding twice a day and that stopped the regurgitating. But now on the raw diet I still feed twice a day, same time, breakfast and dinner but this daily vomiting is concerning. Incidentally, it was the neck bones that one of my dogs threw up. Its hard having multiple dogs. If you don't see them throw up ya have to wonder which one did it.

Brenda
[notify]

Gray Dawn- Treader

Don\\\'t Tread- on me

Barked: Sun Jun 17, '12 6:55pm PST 
I'd try feeding one meal per day for raw and see if that helps any.
[notify]
Cookie

the chi-weenie

Barked: Sun Jun 17, '12 7:14pm PST 
It's impossible for me to know for sure, but I agree with the idea that the bones may not have been crunched up enough. The dog has to crunch the bone up, and if the pieces he swallowed were too big for his stomach to digest fully, then that would cause him to throw them up.
Try feeding a different bone besides the neck (the necks break off into vertebrae which are easy to swallow without chewing) and only feed a little bit for a while.
It really just sounds like his stomach wasn't able to digest the bone fully, so he threw it up (as opposed to the chunks moving into his intestines, which would be bad) so it's good he threw them up. Maybe his stomach just needs more time to adjust to digesting things like bones?
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sun Jun 17, '12 8:13pm PST 
I understand that one dog threw up neck vertebrae.
I understand that you have been feeding raw meat and such for about a month.
I understand that you feed twice a day.

But you also write that this is the second time the dogs have had chicken bones. Most people start out by feeding only bony chicken for a week or two then start other meats then organs. Doesn't sound like that is what you are doing?

How big are the dogs?
What weight of food do they get each day?
Exactly what have they been eating on a daily basis?

My guy swallowed a chicken neck early in his raw fed history. I only found out because there was an odd poop in the back yard. Unchomped bones don't digest well. He will regurgitate indigestible stuff after a couple days of trying - cooked cartilage isn't edible according to his gut. Never has had bony bile vomit though, at least not yet. Sounds very unpleasant!
[notify]
Hula

This is MY- stuffie!

Barked: Mon Jun 18, '12 12:22pm PST 
Sounds to me like waayyy too much bone. When I started, Hula was getting 30-50% bone until her poo stabilized, then added another protein and slowly cut back on the bone content. We started with turkey. To this day, whenever I feed Hula chicken, she has a bile vomit with bone about 6 hours later. Never happens with any other meat.
Chicken necks and wings are too small for most dogs. I give those to my cats.
If you are doing prey model, it should be 80% meat, 10% bone 5% liver, 5% other organs.
Good Luck!
[notify]
Hula

This is MY- stuffie!

Barked: Mon Jun 18, '12 12:25pm PST 
Also...the bile vomit is in anticipation of an upcoming meal. Hula was puking every day until I changed the schedule a bit and stopped feeding so much bone. Do you feed on a set schedule? If so, you may want to vary it by an hour or two.
[notify]
Chewy

Chewy - Never turns down- a bellyrub!

Barked: Mon Jun 18, '12 12:42pm PST 
Regarding the vomiting and bile symptoms, it sounds like these are signs of detoxification. Here's an article that may help: http://www.barfworld.com/blog/?p=114

I would recommend an enzyme and probiotic supplement to help ease detox symptoms and improve immune system and digestion. My mom gives me E-BARF Plus and even thought I'm a picky pup, I really like the taste of it. I also get plain yogurt from time to time. It's yummy!

Don't get discouraged DustyCoal - your fellow Dogsters are here to help!
[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Mon Jun 18, '12 1:00pm PST 
I have to agree- necks and wings are very bony parts with hardly any meat on them. You want to be feeding bigger, meatier parts. Farley is a big dog too and needs meal sizes no smaller than a chicken quarter. When you feed larger, meatier pieces, it will be easier on your dog's stomach to digest the bone, and it will also help encourage them to really crunch it up instead of gulping it down.

Regarding the bile vomits, Farley used to get them too I started giving him random feeding times, then they stopped. I also just feed him once a day (once every couple days for large meals) so I can keep meals larger and more fulfilling for him.

ETA just noticed you said you're feeding barf.. is that including meal items such as ground stuff, veggies, fruits, grains, etc? Could you maybe let us know what a typical day's meal is for your dog?

Edited by author Mon Jun 18, '12 1:02pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4