GO!

Do you reuse your ziplock baggies?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Henry Miller

He's a tramp,- but they love- him!

Barked: Tue Jun 5, '12 7:54pm PST 
I have been feeding raw for about 3 years now. I usually buy meat for the month, divide it into his 8 oz. meals, and put each in a ziplock bag in the freezer. I feel really guilty about how many bags I go through. But it seems like it could possibly be a health risk to be reusing them, even if I wash them out. Am i crazy?
What do you guys do?

Edited by author Tue Jun 5, '12 8:45pm PST

[notify]
Maggie,- Tika, &- Porter

Aussie-tastic- Trio

Barked: Tue Jun 5, '12 8:07pm PST 
Depending on what is in the bags and what the quality of the bags are depend on if I keep them or not. Green tripe and other stinky foods just get the bags tossed. Chicken and beef I usually keep and wash/rinse/reuse (wash in hot soapy water, rinse with hot water, and thoroughly dry inside-out). I only keep the higher quality bags as well, otherwise they end up tearing and or leaking.
[notify]
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Tue Jun 5, '12 8:39pm PST 
I'm on the same page as MTP. I wash out most of my bags, but if they hold stinky organs or tripe, I toss them to avoid my sponge gettin' all stanky.
[notify]

Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Tue Jun 5, '12 9:53pm PST 
I peeled the baggie off the food and stuffed it into a small box right back in the freezer. No washing. If the baggie didn't come off or was ripped it went into the trash.

Mostly I use a variety of plastic containers now. There is at least one brand of deli meat that comes in nice reusable containers, KFC individual sides have cute little ones, reuse yogurt/sour cream/cottage cheese/deli tubs. I pack as full as I can with a bit of bony stuff, organ and fill with meat and get out another tub if the thawed one isn't enough food for the next day.
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Tue Jun 5, '12 9:57pm PST 
All bags get washed and reused unless they contained tripe (then they are immediately put back into the freezer).

Really smelly bags, or leaky bags, are really well rinsed, then placed into the recycling bin.

We're usually able to reuse bags 3 or 4 times.

I boil the dish sponge after washing out dog food bags (esp. if I've been lazy and let them sit in the sink overnight).
[notify]
Zoe

Take me to the- River!

Barked: Tue Jun 5, '12 10:01pm PST 
I don't use ziplock baggies. I keep all my grocery bags, the liners from cereal boxes, bread bags, etc., and use them. After use I just pitch them. This was a suggestion from someone on this sight and I think it was a great tip. Saves money and I'm recycling/reusing.
[notify]
Maggie,- Tika, &- Porter

Aussie-tastic- Trio

Barked: Tue Jun 5, '12 10:25pm PST 
Some of these are great ideas! Wish I had more room for containers (or used ones big enough to fit more food in them), the joys of being a single person who doesn't buy the big items lol!

I can't throw back into the freezer though as I don't freeze my food the smart way...I just toss it in the box with everything else that needs freezing and then pull it out as I need it (so the baggie is always stuck inside some sort of fold)...I thaw in bags though otherwise I would have to remember to take out the night before (ha! I barely remember to take out that same day, my poor dogs) or find a way to keep the cat out of it.
[notify]
Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Tue Jun 5, '12 10:51pm PST 
Depends. If I've got them, and they aren't ripped or seriously disgusting, then I'll rinse and reuse. Sometimes I use grocery bags, but often not, they tend to leak when thawing or let air in and damage the meat. I'm one of those hippies who has my own reusable grocery bags so I don't get them much or I choose paper bags (since they can light on fire!) I'll use produce/bulk food bags, too, more often than generic grocery plastic. They are slightly better than grocery bags (at least they are here), and I reuse these with produce/bulk foods too, until I stick a chunk of raw meat in it. I've also got tupperwares that I use quite frequently for just about anything that'll fit but usually use them for prepared meals.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Wed Jun 6, '12 10:23am PST 
Oops, forgot about the grocery bags. I do use those too. Even though I try really hard the things still get into the house. Useless on a walk but they work okay for picking up poop in the back yard too. I pack odd or large stuff in them. When I packed up the rabbits heads plus whatever I cut the end bit into bunny ears after the bag was knotted. The bags in the freezer now have bison neck bones plus other stuff and baby goat heads.

I don't much care if the bags rip in the freezer. Freezer burn only goes into the meat about 1/4" and Max doesn't care anyway. If I squish the bag around and the stuff doesn't have any poky bits then it is usually fine anyway. I have a largish plastic bin with lid that goes on the bottom shelf of the frig to use any time I have anything but a bin in the frig for him. Even meat on a tray is messy, I really like that bin!
[notify]
Henry Miller

He's a tramp,- but they love- him!

Barked: Wed Jun 6, '12 3:26pm PST 
This is all exactly what I wanted to hear!! Thanks!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2