GO!

Do dogs fed on the raw diet need green tripe?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 3 of 4: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Tue Jun 19, '12 4:05am PST 
I believe it's because the good bacteria in it is beneficial. I have heard it mimics poop eating actually. laugh out loud Billinghurst recommended yoghurt in his first book for that reason, there is also a book called 'Village Dogs' (I don't know the author, sorry ) which is a study of wild dog eating habits and yup, turns out they also consume a lot of poop, both their own and herbivore. So the tripe should mimic that to a degree.
[notify]
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Tue Jun 19, '12 8:08am PST 
Unsure about responding, since this guest has just been going around, bumping old threads with irritated concerns...

"Dogs are carnivores and don't need any plant matter, and wolves don't eat intestines, but that's what green tripe is. Partially digested plant matter. So how could this possibly be good for a carnivore?"

Green tripe is not intestines. Green tripe refers to the multiple stomachs of a cow. Dogs sometimes devour the stomach and the intestines, sometimes one or the other, and sometimes neither. My dog shakes the stomach contents out, but eats the lining from rabbits.

The point of feeding dogs tripe is not the half digested plant matter, but the digestive enzymes. We feed tripe as a whole meal once a week because our dogs are prone to being gassy and the tripe helps their digestive health tremendously.
[notify]
Benji- Knockout

Always searching- for my next- meal!

Barked: Tue Jun 19, '12 10:27am PST 
Do you guys think that the ziwipeak version is just as benificial??

Its Tripe, Lamb and Venison

Here are the ingredients:

Lamb Tripe, Lamb Meat, Venison Meat - Venison Tripe, Green-Lipped Mussel, 66%
Carrageenan, Guar Gum, Sodium Tripolyphosphate
Vitamins: Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Nicotinic Acid, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid
Minerals: Zinc Sulphate, Ferrous Sulphate, Manganese Sulphate, Copper Sulphate, Sodium Selenite
[notify]

Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Tue Jun 19, '12 7:18pm PST 
No but it is tasty. Tasty for dogs that is. I haven't feed Ziwi Peak tripe but I fed a couple other brands and the dogs loved it. Any bacteria would be killed by the canning process.
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '12 12:01am PST 
laugh out loud big laugh laugh out loud

Tripe is the lining of the stomach, not the contents.
[notify]
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '12 9:01am PST 
Uhh.. no one said vegetables kill dogs? BOL!

I'm assuming you haven't been around our forum very much. That's probably why you're still a guest smile.
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '12 9:34am PST 
No one has said veggies will kill a dog except kinds that are bad for them, but most here say they don't believe dogs need veggies. Nothing on a dog will die if they eat it.

If you follow barf diet then fine, but most here follow prey model raw, but I'm not going to push it on others just state my opinion..

Green tripe is the stomach lining I only gotten ground raw tripe so not sure how the whole strips of tripe is like.

Saya does not like rabbit tripe she didn't eat it.
[notify]
Zack

Move or I'll- plough you down!- (lovingly)

Barked: Fri Jun 22, '12 1:16pm PST 
I know this is a major stab in the dark, but I also live in the UK and if you live anywhere near Lincolnsire there is a great raw supplier who delivers to a fair few places in the area, perhaps they can deliver to you too, the prices are really good and there is a huge variety of stuff smile

http://www.lincspets.co.uk/Pages/LincsPets.aspx
[notify]
Jobi

Clown Dog

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 8:04pm PST 
I thought you could only buy green tripe from pet food supply stores? white tripe is for people right? so it is in the grocery stores. but i have never seen green tripe anywhere except pet stores that sell high quality raw or commercial foods???? where do you guys get yours?
[notify]
Hadley

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 1:07pm PST 
There's a variety of places to get green tripe from; online sources like MyPetCarnivore and HareToday or like you said pet shops, co-ops, places the process animals, hunters, etc.

I feed about 15lbs of tripe a month and they eat 40lbs a month so we go consider it very valuable. When you think of how the top dog goes first and eats it's chosen parts, which is the tripe, being it's the stomach lining and what they go for first. Because of that, I think it's important. All the enzymes are so good for the gut and the gut is where all health starts. For me, it's something I'll always feed and if I couldn't find it would search for it. But plenty of dogs do fine without it!
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 4: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4