GO!

Do dogs fed on the raw diet need green tripe?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 2 of 4: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  
Jazz

They call me- Jazzy Fey

Barked: Wed Jun 6, '12 6:53pm PST 
I do feed green tripe as a full meal 2-3 times a week.

My Grandfather used to breed german shepherds years ago and he used to feed tripe to some of his breeding pairs. Those litters had bigger puppies who were stronger than the non tripe fed litters.

My dog absolutly LOVES tripe. snoopy I can usually get it for $1.00/lb... and sometimes $0.85/lb when I'm lucky. You can cut it into whatever size or shape you want too, so its good for dogs of all sizes. The only downfall I have found is that it smells pretty bad and it lingers on your hands unless you have gloves on, lol!

Here is an interesting webpage on tripe:
http://www.maryannland.com/Green_tripe.pdf

And here is an analysis:
Green Tripe Analysis
Protein 13.33%
Fat 12.75%
Crude Fiber 2.99%
Moisture 72.24%
Calcium 0.1%
Phosphorous 0.13%
Lactic Acid Bacteria 2,900,000 gm
pH 6.84
Ash 1.25%
Calories 424 cal / cup
Iron 126.4 mg/kg
Potassium 0.14%
Managnese 25.7 mg/kg
Zinc 23.11 mg/kg
Selenium 0.31 mg/kg
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Thu Jun 7, '12 8:39am PST 
Great info here, all. Question for those of you who feed tripe as a full meal...do you calculate the amount of tripe to feed by the same percentage of your dog's body weight that you use for other raw meals? Curious because I may have found a source and I'm trying to figure out how much to store/feed by week...thx!
[notify]
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Thu Jun 7, '12 8:48am PST 
Lucille, when I feed it as a meal, I feed it as the entire day's worth of food. So yes, each dog's body weight times 2%.

HOWEVER, this is something that you need to work your dog up to. Tripe is extremely rich, and just suddenly doing a whole meal of tripe could cause some major rocket-butt.
[notify]

Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Thu Jun 7, '12 11:17am PST 
2$ pretty good.. Blue ridge beef supplier near me sells it $1.45 or so a 30lb bulk order is $36.

If I had my own freeze I'd buy the stuff bulk..
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Thu Jun 7, '12 11:22am PST 
Thanks for the advice, Charlie. I'll be sure to introduce it in smaller amounts first!
[notify]
Jazz

They call me- Jazzy Fey

Barked: Thu Jun 7, '12 12:42pm PST 
I feed 2% of my dogs weight too. Hopefully your pooch likes it! Good luck!
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Thu Jun 7, '12 1:55pm PST 
Thanks for the analysis Jazz. I didn't know it was so rich in manganese.

I still need to find out where the heck magnesium is hiding in animals!
[notify]
Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Thu Jun 7, '12 4:08pm PST 
Let me know when you do, Max! I am quite interested in finding it as well.
[notify]
Quinn Elijah

A very happy- hound indeed. :)

Barked: Fri Jun 8, '12 11:19am PST 
Hello OP

I am in the UK too and get green tripe for around 50p per Kilo. About 23p per lb. Which is about $0.78 per lb for our american friends.

It would be worth going to a butcher in your area and ask them to get tripe, even if it is just once a month, a lot of butchers will actually give it away for free! (try the slightly posher high end butchers for free tripe - unfortunately my nearest one is too far away so with the travel it is still cheaper to buy it from my butcher)

You can still get the majority of your meat from the supermarket but I'm sure there is one butcher near you, they can order in things like tripe especially for you once a month. You may also be better off from a price point of view going to them as they will give discounts on regular orders, because I go to my butcher 2 - 3 times per week, I get it at about half the price.

Asking around and trying to strike up a deal is the best thing. smile
[notify]

Barked: Tue Jun 19, '12 1:59am PST 
Come someone explain this to me, because it seems inconsistant with other things that are said here.

Dogs are carnivores and don't need any plant matter, and wolves don't eat intestines, but that's what green tripe is. Partially digested plant matter. So how could this possibly be good for a carnivore?
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 4: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4