GO!

Do dogs fed on the raw diet need green tripe?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

Barked: Tue Jun 5, '12 11:09am PST 
I am just wondering because I think there are too schools of thought. It is just because I am planning to get most of the meat and veggies for my dog from the supermarket since I will only be getting a small dog. If I feed green tripe I will have to pay over £9 to get it delivered, so is it necessary?
I think if I do have to feed green tripe to balance it all or something I will just feed my dog Orijen.

Edited by author Tue Jun 5, '12 11:10am PST

[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Tue Jun 5, '12 11:24am PST 
Green tripe is completely optional. It can be high fat and isn't very high in protein, minerals [possibly too much iron though] and vitamins. It is also completely delicious if you are a dog.

From memory, it came to fame because kennels in Europe used it and noted huge improvements in the dogs. Sure, lots of fat and it being fresh it would be better than a kibble diet. They used it because it was cheap or free though,
[notify]
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Tue Jun 5, '12 12:57pm PST 
I feed green tripe as 14% (1 day/week) of my dogs' diet because I love the benefits and because I can get it cheap. Green tripe is, to me, basically just digestive enzymes and a meat source, and it helps my dogs with their skin and digestive health tremendously.

I think it's completely optional to the diet, but if you can get it occasionally at a good price, GO FOR IT!
[notify]

Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Tue Jun 5, '12 1:08pm PST 
It's not needed if you can't get it, but If you can sure feed it.

I feed things like tongue, heart, gizzards, lung, gullet, and cheek meat for variety, but can do without if I can't find any..
[notify]
Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Tue Jun 5, '12 10:53pm PST 
What's a good price for green tripe? Is $2 a pound for pure green tripe good? I've never really thought of it, since I couldn't ever find it until recently.
[notify]
Maggie,- Tika, &- Porter

Aussie-tastic- Trio

Barked: Tue Jun 5, '12 11:07pm PST 
I get it through a local raw co-op group from GreenTripe.com and order 40#s for about $80. The dogs love it and I feel that it gives just that much more of a variety. I try to only feed about 1/4 - 1/2 pound a week (per dog) as I only order the stuff twice a year. I don't find it necessary, but for the price I can get it at, I find it worth it.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Wed Jun 6, '12 12:23am PST 
Like others have said, it's not necessary but it's great if you can get it. I feed green tripe for one meal a week, and it's definitely a favorite with the dogs.

I get my tripe from Hare-Today for $2.19/lb, which I think is a pretty reasonable price.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Jun 6, '12 2:02am PST 
Yeah thanks guys. And yeah $2 a pound is a really good price! I`m so jealous of you guys in America, Im in UK so I can`t get hare today or anything frown
[notify]

Barked: Wed Jun 6, '12 2:02am PST 
Yeah thanks guys. And yeah $2 a pound is a really good price! I`m so jealous of you guys in America, Im in UK so I can`t get hare today or anything frown
[notify]
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Wed Jun 6, '12 8:53am PST 
Intentionally bragging, but we get green tripe from our co-op at 1.25/lb. cheer

If you have access to blue-ridge-beef co-ops, their prices are incredibly cheap.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4