GO!

Newbie thread: Everything you need to know about proteins and cuts!

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 7 of 8: Viewing entries 61 to 70)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Sat Apr 6, '13 3:20pm PST 
bump for Dexter!
[notify]
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Wed May 1, '13 12:16pm PST 
Bump it big grinnaughty
[notify]
Obi

Sassy Britches!

Barked: Sun Jun 9, '13 11:17am PST 
hi5 BUMP
[notify]

Snickers

I'm a 50-pound- lapdog :)

Barked: Wed Jun 19, '13 4:41am PST 
BUMP
[notify]
Dante

You know i'm- cute, pet me!

Barked: Fri Jun 21, '13 1:55am PST 
Bump this awesome thread happy dance Still need to save it to my computer
[notify]
Delta

Play hard, sleep- well.

Barked: Thu Jun 27, '13 11:52am PST 
Awesome article.
[notify]
Obi

Sassy Britches!

Barked: Fri Jul 5, '13 7:35am PST 
Bump!welcome
[notify]
Obi

Sassy Britches!

Barked: Mon Jan 13, '14 9:17am PST 
blue dog
[notify]
Lucy

Barked: Tue Apr 1, '14 9:40pm PST 
So I am a hunter and have a lot of rabbit squirrel and I also have some deer scrap. Rabbits and squirrel have bones In still deer doesn't. So I'm new I want to start with chicken cuz that's what I have heard as a good starter. But as I progress I want to try to mostly use the food I hunt . Any thoughts on squirrel meat? My girl is 65-68 pounds 3 years old. I'm looking to start her in the next month

Edited by author Tue Apr 1, '14 9:50pm PST

[notify]
Ginger

Ready Set GO!

Barked: Wed Apr 2, '14 10:24am PST 
Squirrel is great. Be sure you inspect the carcasses for potential issues. Shot and parasites come to mind. A lot of people skin small game before freezing just to keep ticks and such out of the picture. Freeze any wild game long and hard as parasitic cysts can be killed.

Chicken is used because it is lean, bony and mild. Rabbit is the same. I would happily start a dog on wild rabbit. Skin it and save organs for later to start out. After your dog gets familiar then just offer the whole defrosted rabbit. I'd be preparing rabbits and stashing in the freezer to get ready for the big switch over, once you have a couple months worth start transitioning with the stuff that has been in the freezer longest.

Much venison bone is edible depending on the age and size of the animal. A trophy buck's legs would be too tough for most dogs but a young animal is likely completely edible. Even Max could get through venison ribs. If you can get the guts remember stomach=tripe and the liver, heart and lungs are terrific.

That said the squirrels and rabbits are too bony so feeding just the venison meat is fine. A big bony chew is lots of fun though, see if you cannot save ribs and shoulders and necks for occasional fun.
[notify]
  (Page 7 of 8: Viewing entries 61 to 70)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8