GO!

Newbie thread: Everything you need to know about proteins and cuts!

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 2 of 8: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  
Brody

Tiny boy, but he- has a huge- heart!

Barked: Tue Feb 28, '12 6:10am PST 
Charlie - this is an awesome post! Very helpful! Thanks so much for spending the time to write it up. You are fantastic. applause
[notify]
Zack

Move or I'll- plough you down!- (lovingly)

Barked: Tue Feb 28, '12 7:40am PST 
Ahaha wow Charlie, you certainly didnt waste any time smile This thread is AWESOME! I'm actually gonna print this out and stick it on my fridge smile Thank you!

I just have one question, is there a certain bone content that I need to be preceding/following meals with no bone? For example, should a meal that is 30% bone be followed by a meal of just meat, or would it be able to be followed by another bone meal without effecting the stool? Also, I noticed there was no lamb, will you be doing a lamb break down at all? smile

Thank you VERY much for this thread big grin
[notify]
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Tue Feb 28, '12 8:01am PST 
I don't have a lot of experience with lamb, but I'm certainly up for adding it with a little research!

As for the bone question, it more or less depends on your dog. For certain very boney cuts, it's necessary for any dog to have a boneless meal to follow. However for let's say a chicken leg quarter (I think I said 30-ish%), some dogs can keep eating bone-in cuts afterwards. The prey-model tells us 10% bone, but some dogs do better with 20% bone. The best way to tell is to watch your dog's stool to see if it is loose (add bone) or light-colored and crumbly (add meat/organ).
[notify]

Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Tue Feb 28, '12 10:28am PST 
Nice work Charlie!!!!way to go

I ran into the editing problem when I posted the beginner's raw feeding guide. That's why I posted it on Chance's website - I could make changes, add info, etc. and just post the link and the fact that there was an update.
If you're interested in something like that, we use Weebly which is free and easy to use!
[notify]
Benji- Knockout

Always searching- for my next- meal!

Barked: Tue Feb 28, '12 10:34am PST 
Anyone have any idea about Sword Fish, Haddock, Sole or Cod? These are typically the fish I keep on hand and wondered about feeding to my puppy when I get him.
[notify]
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Tue Feb 28, '12 11:45am PST 
Haddock: Low in omega-3s, low in mercury.
Cod: Low in omega-3s, low in mercury.
Sole: Low in omega-3s, low in mercury.
Swordfish: High in omega-3's, high in mercury.

Generally, white meat fish are low in omega-3's and low in mercury. The worst mercury contenders are shark, swordfish/marlin, and mackeral, with tuna following at a middle-high mercury level.
[notify]
Henry Miller

He's a tramp,- but they love- him!

Barked: Tue Feb 28, '12 8:45pm PST 
Awesome thread Charlie! I have a question, I've been feeding raw for four years, have fed all kinds of crazy things, and haven't really been afraid of feeding anything until now.
Last week I bought raw beef tendons. They were too big to feed in one meal so I cut them in half. They were REALLY difficult to cut--like nothing I have tried to cut before. I'm worried it's going to be a choking hazard. Is it even worth feeding?
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Tue Feb 28, '12 9:53pm PST 
Charlie,

Here's some good info from Oregon Vet Med Association that lets you know what types of fish can be infected with salmon poisoning.

The very last line says to either cook the fish thoroughly or freeze it for a minimum of 2 weeks.

http://oregonvma.org/care-health/salmon-poisoning-disease

When I did the Beginner's Guide To Prey Model Raw, I included a section called "Can I Feed."
One of the fish problems I found was Scrombroid Fish Poisoning.

"Scrombroid Fish Poisoning is caused by histamine contamination, occurs within a few hours of eating and resembles an allergic reaction.

It only occurs in members of the Scrombridae fish family which includes tuna, mackerel, skipjack, bonito, mahi mahi, bluefish, marlin, and escolar."

It is caused by improper refrigeration and can occur in raw, cooked or canned fish in this family.
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Tue Feb 28, '12 11:58pm PST 
Australia rides on the sheep's back and so here is the skinny on lamb:

It is a very fatty meat, and the cholesterol levels are slightly higher than beef. Excessive fat can be a problem, particularly on trim, so don't be afraid to cut a little off.

This fat is 3% polyunsaturated, with 54% saturated and 43% monounsaturated.

Zinc in sheep meat varies from 2-10% depending on cut but is mostly 3-5%. This is very similar to beef. Highest zinc levels are found in the shank and neck.

Protein levels vary between 15 and 32%, depending mainly on how much fat is present. The protein is slightly lower than beef.

sodium is low and potassium is high (like other raw meats). Shanks are the highest cut in sodium.

Calcium levels are higher than in beef. Iron levels are slightly less than beef, more than chicken.

Vitamin levels roughly comparable to beef.

The bones easiest consumable (in my experience) is ribs and neck.

Some dogs suffer diarrhoea on lamb, possibly from the high fat content.

This info was taken from the barf book 'feed your dog a bone'. way to go
[notify]
Titan

Barked: Wed Feb 29, '12 11:17am PST 
Mentioned in the "beef section" was raw green tripe. As a newbe I just bought a box of frozen tripe (white in colour) Does this not count as organ meet then?
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 8: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8