GO!

Kibble mixed with raw food

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Yogi in- loving- memory

Double Trouble

Barked: Thu Feb 23, '12 10:40pm PST 
Hello - I am new to the concept of raw diet but this site has been very helpful. Our german shepherd puppies are 9 weeks old and have been on a mix of kibble and raw chicken with fruits and vegetables. I would eventually like to switch to raw but I'm not 100% confident yet on mixing the raw meat in right proportions. So while I learn I was wondering if dry grain free kibble mixed with raw chicken with some giblets, carrots, parsley, garlic and apples is appropriate? I also noticed many postings mention bones, what kind of bones, and how old do the dogs have to be before I can start giving them bones (I assume raw)?
Thank you kindly for any helpsmile
[notify]
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Thu Feb 23, '12 10:56pm PST 
I've heard mixing kibble and raw is bad. I did that for a day or so but jake kept getting stopped up. So i just put him entirely on raw. There's a really nice feeding guide on the "So Your thinking about feeding raw" form. Jake gets a little kibble every once in a while in a wobbler kong or as a meal when he's in boarding because were i board does not support Raw nor would i be comfortable leaving them to feed him raw.

I believe some of the people on here have always fed their puppies on raw.

Soft edible bones like chicken, lamb and apparently pork. You give them covered in meat and let them eat the entire thing. I give jake whole chicken quarters and he eats almost the entire thing. I save the left overs and boil them down for training chicken pieces.

I give jake veggies and apples as treats but not as part of a meal. I don't think its required for any benefits its just cheaper for me then dog treats. and he likes them and they're organic.
[notify]
Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Fri Feb 24, '12 12:06am PST 
Nah, it's fine. If I give my kibble-fed dogs a piece of liver at the same time as their kibble then yes, it creates a problem, but I don't know if that's limited to them or what. But meats, bone, eggs, yogurt, etc. are all fine to mix in, I do it all the time.

There's hype that they digest at drastically different rates so feeding raw at the same time as kibble will "make some of it rot" or something. While they do digest at slightly different rates, it's not at all problem unless your dog has an issue with one or the other.
Besides if that were true (the rotting thing) it would apply to people too (yes, I know hoomans are omnivores and dogs carnivores and have different digestive tracts), and I wouldn't be able to eat a salad and crackers with my steak without issues XP

Any age is fine. Some people say the younger the better, others saw wait. I personally think you should do what you are comfortable with. If you feel ready to switch, go ahead. If not? No harm in waiting a bit to make sure you will get things right.

Edited by author Fri Feb 24, '12 12:07am PST

[notify]

Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Fri Feb 24, '12 11:12am PST 
Pups can be switched as soon as they are ready for solids.. Most reccomend feeding a grind meat and bone because most pups are not good enough to crunch the food, but GSD pup should do fine with drumsticks, quarters and stuff like that don't give too small of item in case they try to gulp it down.

You can take it away and put in fridge when they ate amount they need.

I usually give raw meals to Bella parent's kibble fed boxer once or four times a week as a meal instead of kibble. I'd give her a quarter, pork rib, lamb neck, or chicken breast for bone in item and either tiny bit of liver or kidney, and either a heart, tongue or boneless meat. I only give little bit of organ one meal a week.

Read so your interested in raw it's useful.

This site helpful too.
http://preymodelraw.com/how-to-get-started/

I give Bella bit of gizzards, heart, tongue or tiny bit of liver in her kibble sometimes, but that's only if I don't have bone in item to give her for while due to no sales..
[notify]