GO!

Mucous in poo

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Lilly CD CDX- JD JDX AD

Barked: Mon Dec 26, '11 9:46pm PST 
Just wondering if any one else has experienced this so its just not me freaking out.smile lately my dog has been having a clear gooey mucous in stool sometimes not much, sometimes more. Her stools are compact, not loose. She did have giardia a few months backs which made her have diarreah and mucousy stools but that was alot of white mucous. Tests since then on stools have came back negative so she doesnt still have that, maybe she needs someting to repair intestines? or its just being on all raw? thoughts welcome
[notify]
Mackenzie- CGC TDI DSA

Why sit when you- can lie down?

Barked: Tue Dec 27, '11 10:57am PST 
Is Lilly new to the raw diet? When I transitioned Riley she had mucousy stools initially, and then when I would introduce new proteins to her she would also get mucousy stools. There is some kind of intestinal agitation going on.
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Tue Dec 27, '11 12:24pm PST 
Mucus is indicative of intestinal irritation. If you trace down far enough, there are different shades and consistencies for different types of irritation, but honestly I'm not familiar with them nor do I have any interest in becoming so.

Offhand, I would guess her digestive tract is still weak from the giardia. It's a nasty parasite and untreated it will cause serious, permanent damage so it's not surprising that there would be some residual irritation. Try feeding extra fiber for a week or two. 100% canned pumpkin is the usual go-to for this, but yams, squash, lentils, really any pureed veggie will work. It helps them just like it does people - the difference is people need a lot more of it on a permanent basis. If the problem persists through the fiber, or if it starts up again as soon as you stop, you'll need to investigate further.

My second thought was that if her poops are really compact and covered in mucus, she may be getting too much bone.
[notify]

Lilly CD CDX- JD JDX AD

Barked: Tue Dec 27, '11 7:57pm PST 
I wouldnt say Lilly is totally new to raw even when on kibble she always had raw mince or bones every night, but now shes on all raw. This mucous seems to have come about when giardia came back positive and its stayed since but when she had giardia it was a thick white mucous now its just a clear gooey little bit. vet also said she could have ibs or something like that but often with that they have diareahh or pain which she doesnt have so im stumped. Could i just add some cooked pumpkin i cant find canned in the supermarkets here in south australia. However doesnt pumpkin loosen the stools? i dont really want that. Unless its too much fat but i have started skinning the chicken bones now to.
[notify]
Lilly CD CDX- JD JDX AD

Barked: Tue Dec 27, '11 8:00pm PST 
Also yes it could be the bones she does get a big bone every single night how much bone would you reccomend for a 17.8 kilogram dog, but the bones help keep her poo frim.
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Wed Dec 28, '11 7:06am PST 
Cooked pumpkin is fine, and probably cheaper. Canned is just easier. The canned pumpkin is usually in the baking section, not with other canned veggies.

Edible bone should comprise about 10% of the overall diet, give or take depending on the individual (more for loose poop, less for hard/crumbly). It's not based on the size of your dog, but the amount you're feeding overall.
[notify]
Lilly CD CDX- JD JDX AD

Barked: Wed Dec 28, '11 3:58pm PST 
ok well at the moment im doing 1/2 cup mince in morning and then at night 2 chicken wings or drumsticks or 1 turkey neck chicken quarter etc .
[notify]