GO!

Yellow poop.

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Charlie &- Zelda

Love at first- sniff <3

Barked: Wed Sep 28, '11 8:25am PST 
My dogs generally have yellow poop when they've been eating a lot of bone-in chicken. Zelda's confusing me currently because she had eaten a lot of a venison w/ bone grind over the past week but now three days into boneless meals her stools are still yellow. She's also had two organ meals within the past 3 days. Charlie's stools are brown, but Zelda's are still yellow and compact.

Just wondering if anyone else has seen this sort of thing before, I'm weirded out thinking !

Edit: Wanted to also ask, if I'm using the "watch the poop" method of feeding, is it okay to keep feeding Zelda boneless, even if she ends up on close to a week with no bone?

Edited by author Wed Sep 28, '11 8:27am PST

[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Wed Sep 28, '11 11:32am PST 
Max has yellow poultry poop too. If he gets his organ when he eats bony poultry it is dark though. How do you feed organ? Max has big didn't really absorb the goodness of the organ poop if I feed more than ~25% of his meal as organ. He isn't complaining, it is his favorite stuff!
[notify]
Charlie &- Zelda

Love at first- sniff <3

Barked: Wed Sep 28, '11 12:48pm PST 
Here's a rough schedule, from what I can remember for her:

Day 1: Salmon head (gorged and then fasted the next day)
Day 3: Venison/bone grind
Day 4: Venison/bone grind
Day 5: Venison/bone grind + liver (by this point her stool became yellow)
Day 6: Beef stew meat
Day 7: London broil hunk
Day 8: London broil hunk + liver (today!)

She had double liver because I ran out of kidney and have been procrastinating going to the butcher. So the liver portion is about 3 ounces each time, while her entire meal is around 9 ounces.
[notify]

Charlie &- Zelda

Love at first- sniff <3

Barked: Sun Oct 2, '11 8:17am PST 
Update again, Zelda didn't poop for a day or so after all the boneless, then she had a normal stool and now it's back to yellow again. She has been on more boneless until yesterday when I gave her chicken hearts, gizzards and a whole egg. Can that one egg shell turn her stool yellow already? Yeesh.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sun Oct 2, '11 9:22am PST 
Yellow poop can mean the liver isn't working properly or she has giardia [doubt that is it] but since we are feeding a varied diet it is hard to know if that is why this is happening. I would put her on a very consistent diet of a bit of liver, other organ, meat and some sort of calcium daily and see if poop stays the same for that period of time. She might not be absorbing the calcium and it is making the poop light colored. I doubt it, I suspect you are offering more calcium than she needs is all. A whole egg shell completely absorbed is a lot of calcium, about twice what 38 pound Max needs. If her system can take the egg shell down [usually dogs don't digest egg shell completely] and decide what it needs from it that was more than she needed and out came the excess. If you have chicken feet or small whole fish those are less than the amount of calcium Max needs and his poop shouldn't be hard and yellow if that is all the calcium he gets that day. If they turn her stool yellow and you know that isn't quite enough calcium something is going on.

I suspect she has a rock solid GIT that is doing a great job with calcium and she doesn't need as much as you think she does. And I bet that grind is bonier than you think it is. Maybe cut it with more boneless meat.
[notify]
Charlie &- Zelda

Love at first- sniff <3

Barked: Sun Oct 2, '11 10:15am PST 
Thank you Maxwell, you are always so helpful smile.
[notify]