GO!

Beginner's Guide To Prey Model Raw

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 2 of 5: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5  
Caoimhe

K-ee-v-uh

Barked: Wed Sep 21, '11 1:08pm PST 
Very good guide!
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Mon Sep 26, '11 4:33pm PST 
I've made 3 changes:
I've added feeding old meat to the section on what to do with leftovers and refreezing meat.

What To Do With Leftovers, Refreezing Meat & Old Meat
Leftovers
When feeding meals that are more than your dog will eat at one time, what do you do with the leftover piece?

If what is left over is big enough to be safely fed, put it in the fridge and feed for the next meal.

If what is left can’t be safely fed to your dog, you can pull the meat off to feed as treats or to use as part of a boneless meal.

Refreezing Meat
Leftovers can be refrozen for later use.

It is perfectly safe to refreeze meat multiple times as long as the meat has not sat around unrefrigerated for hours and it hasn’t spoiled.

The only reason humans don’t eat refrozen meat is because we don’t like the change in texture and taste. Dogs don’t care.

Old Meat
It is fine to feed meat that has been frozen for years, even decades, with a few safety precautions.

Even meat that was thawed and refrozen is fine to feed years later as long as the meat was frozen before it had a chance to start to spoil and it was not allowed to sit out a room temperature for hours.

Dogs don’t mind eating meat that has severely freezer burnt or frozen for extended periods of time though there will be some flavor loss so picky eaters may not eat it.

Once the old meat is thawed, if anything seems off or not quite right about it, you may want to throw it away instead of feed.

--------------------------------
I've added that bone may be seen in poop when starting raw.

Raw Fed Stool
Raw fed stool should be firm, small, essentially odorless and quick to dry out/decompose.

When a dog is starting on a raw diet, expect to see some soft, badly formed, oddly textured and/or oddly colored stool. Dogs sometimes have trouble digesting raw food properly after being on highly processed commercial foods and it takes a while for everything to start working properly.
You may even see pieces of bone in the stool and your dog may go a couple of days without having a bowel movement when starting raw.

Diarrhea, which is loose and watery stool that is frequent and/or urgent, can occur but with some basic feeding changes it should go away after a day or two.

Stool with some flecks of bright red blood is a sign of large intestine irritation, especially if the dog has had diarrhea or has been straining to go, or is a result of small scratches in the gastrointestinal tract caused by very bony stool.

When loose stool occurs during the starting phase, there are several things that can be done:
• Remove a little skin and/or fat, especially if the stool is a little mucousy. Once the stool is normal for a couple of days, slowly start removing less and less of the skin and/or fat.
• Feed a little more bone. Once the stool is normal for a couple of days, slowly start feeding cuts with less bone.
• Slightly reduce meal size or, if you are not weighing meals, start weighing the meals in case it is caused by overfeeding. Remember to keep track of treats given as well to see if you are overfeeding.

When loose stool occurs during the introduction of a new protein or organ, go back to the last thing fed that produced a normal stool and feed that until the stool is normal for a couple of days. Then start adding in very small amounts of the new protein or organ again.

Monitoring the stool is crucial with a raw diet.
A stool that is too firm or white and crumbly means too much bone has been fed so the next meal should be meatier.
A stool that is too soft may mean too little bone or too much organ or too much overall food.
A stool that is too soft with mucous may mean too much fat and/or skin.

Knowing how different combinations of bone, meat, fat and organs interact together for a particular dog helps avoid surprises. For example, if a meal is supposed to be bone-in but you only have boneless then you know the stool will be soft and the next couple of meals need to be bone-in.

There can even be stool differences caused by the animal fed or if large meals of certain organs are fed. For example, feeding a lot of chicken may produce a yellow or orange stool. Feeding a lot of liver at once may produce a dark stool. Generally the darker the meat, the darker the stool.
----------------------------------
Added to store meat uncovered in the fridge.

Preparing And Storing Meals
If you prepare raw meals ahead of time, it makes raw feeding just as quick and easy as pouring food out of a bag. All you do is remove a couple of days of food from the freezer, thaw it in the fridge and feed.

• Cut the meat into the proper-sized portions (a digital kitchen scale comes in very handy).
• Put the portions into a plastic zip-close bag.
• Label each bag with the weight, type of meat and cut (this way you know if it has bone or not).

Storing meat in the refrigerator should be done in open containers to prevent the growth of anaerobic bacteria.

A separate freezer just for meat comes in handy so you can stock up on sales or get bulk discounts.
[notify]
Eabha

How Can You Say- No to This Face?

Barked: Wed Sep 28, '11 2:48am PST 
Good job! applause
[notify]

Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Thu Feb 2, '12 2:23pm PST 
I turned the guide into a downloadable PDF file and it is now on Chance's website.

http://puppybutt.weebly.com/raw-diet.html

If you download it, it will open up in the browser window that Chance's website is open in. Will see if I can change that.

If you download it and start reading without saving it to your computer 1st, any website links you click on in the document will open the website in the browser window the PDF is open in. I will see if I can change that.
[notify]
Hula

This is MY- stuffie!

Barked: Fri Feb 3, '12 7:31pm PST 
Awesome!! Thanks so much for taking the time to post this!
[notify]
Mister- Jagger

YIP YAP I love- Rock and Roll!

Barked: Sat Feb 4, '12 3:24pm PST 
Wow thank you Chance! I just skimmed through it, but already found several answers to my current questions (i.e. how to feed a gulper, a bolter and refreezing!)! Can't wait to read it all. dancing
[notify]
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Mon Feb 6, '12 9:30pm PST 
best guide ever. I've seen bits and pieces of everything you have here all over the web. Thanks for putting it all in one place. flowershi5happy dancehappy dancehappy dance
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Thu Feb 9, '12 2:09pm PST 
I've got it to where it opens the PDF in a new window so yay!

Thanks.
Hubby wanted something written down so he could study it and have those answers at his fingertips. He's an engineer!
It expanded into this.

And the man still comes to me and asks me questions that are in the guide. I tell him it's there if he'll just read it.
But he doesn't have to read it because I'm here to ask.
When people do that to him at work, he goes nuts.naughty

I'm glad somebody has read it!hail
[notify]
Louie

Frenchies Rock!

Barked: Fri Feb 10, '12 9:47am PST 
Hi all,
Its been a while but things are going well for Louie and Tony on raw. I found this post to be very informative for even a not so new raw feeder. It was nice to read through as a reminder just in case over time I have gotten laxed or wandered away from good raw feeding habits.
Thanks so much.
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Tue Mar 27, '12 11:56am PST 
bump
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 5: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5