GO!

Grade 5 heart murmur - what are good foods for healthy heart function?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Murphy

Don't make me- pee in the rain.

Barked: Tue Aug 23, '11 10:04pm PST 
Murphy went in for bloodwork for kidney function after eating a few raisins in a trail mix dropped on the floor (to a different vet because mine cannot process bloodwork at their office - his levels were all normal thankfully). But the new vet detected what she called a grade 5 heart murmur.

Reading about this, I've found this is the most serious level (grade 5-6). I was looking for things I can do to extend the life of his heart. He's healthy and active right now (is a hearty raw diet eater), we don't know much about his history (rescue), other than abuse, and the vet thought he was a little older (by about 2 years) than we thought he was - he is likely 6 to 8 rather than 4 to 5.

I read the following while searching for some answers and wondered what you seasoned raw feeders thought, or if any of you know specifically about heart issues, I'd love some advice. Even about the vaccines...

"First is to feed raw heart to your dog. Beef, pig, chicken, doesn't matter. The raw heart helps with the murmur. The second thing that will help is giving the dog 20mg CoQ10 every day. I know this because I just lost a dog to a heart problem and he amazed the vet how long he survived with his bad heart. His quality of life was good too, and he was a happy dog till the last day of his life.

Now, heart murmurs sometimes come from vaccine damage. With the murmur and his other problems he should qualify for an exemption to the rabies vaccine. I'd stop all vaccines for life. There has never really been a reason to give those shots over and over every year. Once a dog has antibodies to something they are there for life."

Murphy eats a lot of pork heart, but any ideas on a recommended amount? He's 9 lbs.

Thanks in advance!
[notify]
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Wed Aug 24, '11 5:18am PST 
So sorry for you bad news frown

I would think heart would be the answer. When I first joined this forum, there was a story of a senior raw fed dog with a serious heart problem, and the vet asked if they were getting enough taurine and l-carnitine, both of which are rich in heart meat.

I'm not sure on how much, sorry. My dogs generally eat an entire daily meal of heart every 1-2 weeks and they do well.

Edited by author Wed Aug 24, '11 5:18am PST

[notify]
Hazel Louise

Therapy Dog- Greatness!

Barked: Wed Aug 24, '11 7:40am PST 
I'm sorry to hear this about your little dog. I really don't know what to tell you about food, but there are some supplements to use....and it looks like you already know about them. COQ10 (ubiquinol), L-Carnitine, Taurine, maybe Hawthorne. I hope your little dog lives a long life. You are a good mommy/daddy, so he is in good hands! Hazel has a grade 1/2 murmur (they are common in Cavaliers unfortunately) and she is eating premade raw from Nature's Variety and Primal. She gets a supplement from Standard Process called Whole Body Support and COQ10. I have in the past used some other heart supplements....Bio-Cardio, Heart Strength, and one from Nature's Farmacy (can't remember the name of it).
[notify]

Ruby * Teddy- * Rusty *- Penny

Barked: Wed Aug 24, '11 7:57am PST 
I'm so sorry.

You might want to check www.b-naturals.com. Click on Newsletters at the top. I think she (Lew Olson) has some suggestions for a heart healthy diet. I know her book contains a chapter on heart diets.

You might also want to check the K9Nutrition Yahoo group. I believe she responds to posts on that site.

Hope this helps.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Wed Aug 24, '11 8:19am PST 
Sorry to hear it frown

Fish oil is supposed to be good for the heart. Not sure how/if that helps with heart murmurs though.

Edited by author Wed Aug 24, '11 8:20am PST

[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Wed Aug 24, '11 8:20am PST 
I really wouldn't worry about supplementing taurine. Even chicken legs are high in it!
http://web.archive.org/web/20070116093635/http://www.serve.com/ BatonRouge/taurine_chmr.htm

Too bad because the carnitine costs the earth and taurine is cheap. Here is an article with limited info on how much is in certain foods. I am sure there is a recommended level to supplement, you may be feeding enough already as more is not always better.
http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/carnitine/#h3

Backing up I got a list of supplements with articles about them. Hawthorn is listed and using it for heart health is mentioned.
http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/

I was dosing taurine, carnitine and CoQ10 for Max but the scary murmur hasn't been heard for a couple years. In his case it could just have been his stress at being at the vet office so I dropped it and there have been no signs of any heart disease.

Lew Olson has an article,
http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter/heart-healthy-diet/
I was/am sure Max was getting enough B vitamins and his other vet induced scare was oxalate crystals so no way would I supplement vitamin C!

I think you are doing it. Raw lean lots of red meat keep him lean and fit and happy. Eight is really young for a chi, this is sad news!
[notify]
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Wed Aug 24, '11 8:50am PST 
Here's another resource: Dog Aware: Heart Disease in Dogs
[notify]
Brody

Tiny boy, but he- has a huge- heart!

Barked: Wed Aug 24, '11 10:57am PST 
I agree with the others on the supplements. Fish oil, coQ10, hawthorne, etc. I would also keep his diet red meat heavy.

As for the vaccine issue, I would not do any more vaccinations. Ever. I would also steer clear of topical toxins (fleas, tick). As for heartworm meds, determine your level of risk and go from there.
[notify]
Feather

Just a quick nap- before bed- time!!

Barked: Thu Aug 25, '11 6:21am PST 
Feather has heart disease, found out last year when she had cancer and was coughing. She now gets lots of red meat heart, like lamb hearts and beef hearts. Also I supplement with L-carnitine and Co-Q10, everyday. I choose to not supplement with taurine, because there is enough in her meats and heart pieces.

Feather is a geriatric dog at this point, but holding her own and doing really well! I think you are ahead of the game BIG TIME by feeding raw to begin with. Is this murmur a new thing?
[notify]
Momo (formal- name: - Cozmo)

Happiness is- Just a Thing- called Mo

Barked: Thu Aug 25, '11 6:17pm PST 
Dogs can live quite a while, quite happily, with a grade 5.
You classic supplement is CoQ10.
Also, has your vet mentioned medications? There are several very effective heart medications. Ask your vet about Enalipril and Lasix. These are different and do different things.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2