GO!

Raw fed dogs don't stink

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Buddy

Giving my paw- can get me- anything!

Barked: Wed Aug 3, '11 4:27pm PST 
I keep hearing how raw fed dogs should never stink, a smelly dog is an unhealthy dog, etc. My two have been raw fed for 3 years and have a bad doggy odor (especially after coming in from outside). I can't help but wonder if its a health issue or if that's just how they are. I have to bathe them about once a month because they get really doggy. They don't roll in the dirt, I brush their teeth regularly, they don't have any skin conditions or hair loss, I brush them often and their ears are perfectly clean. There's no reason I could think of for the smell. Its kind of embarrassing when someone mentions it.

Any thoughts on this? I was thinking about adding coconut oil to their diet since hearing it can help with odors. But I keep wondering what the root of the problem could be. Does your raw fed dog smell?
[notify]
Duke

I'm king of the- world!

Barked: Wed Aug 3, '11 5:19pm PST 
Yep. Not nearly as bad as on kibble, but Duke still has some dog smell about him.

Interesting you mention the coconut oil because Duke had a visit today with a holistic vet who said it can be great for skin fungus (the source of the doggy smell, according to her). She rubbed her hand along Duke's belly, smelled it and said he smells yeasty. (With Duke, however, that would make sense given all the antibiotics he has recently taken).

Just thought I would mention the coconut oil comment since she said it does help with dog smell. Has something to do with balancing fungi on the skin (or something). The Dogster email-of-the-day today had a link to an article on coconut oil. It was an interesting read.

Edited by author Wed Aug 3, '11 5:21pm PST

[notify]
Brody

Tiny boy, but he- has a huge- heart!

Barked: Wed Aug 3, '11 5:44pm PST 
I've heard also that yeast causes that characteristic doggy smell.

Brody doesn't smell at all and is rarely bathed. Course he's smooth coated too and doesn't have a lot of hair. But even if you hold him right up to your nose and inhale, there's no odor. Not even coming in from a rainy day.

So I'd tend to agree that it is an overgrowth of yeast. Coconut oil would sure be worth a try.
[notify]

Crash- Dynamite

Live up to your- Name!

Barked: Thu Aug 4, '11 11:04pm PST 
We all know RAW Is not a miracle cure for all Dogs. Sounds like your Dogs are doing well on RAW and this might be something different all together.

I'd try the coconut oil and see what happens.
[notify]
Tucker, CGC,- TDI

Bloggin' Dog

Barked: Fri Aug 5, '11 10:39am PST 
Buddy, I think this might be a case similar to the flea thing. IE - you have said often how you never get fleas anymore since switching to raw. You and I don't live but probably 20 minutes from one another, yet while I don't see a flea on my dogs (or raw fed cats) very often, I still do see them occasionally, and when I do, I do a flea treatment.

Tucker never smells doggy or stinky, and can go a long long time without needing a bath. Phoebe on the other hand - after a couple of weeks, she is smelling doggy. I personally think what a raw diet does is give each individual dog the best shot at being as healthy as they can be. How healthy/flea free/non-smelly that is is going to depend at least in part on the individual animal and where they are starting from health wise.

Finn when I got him had this horrendous breath - I called him garbage mouth - and frankly that's probably exactly what he'd been eating. I was afraid he was septic - that's how bad it was - but lab results showed otherwise. After four or five months on a raw diet, the smell was gone and has never returned.
[notify]
Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Fri Aug 5, '11 10:48am PST 
I'm petsitting for a dog who not only I think leaves a smell on me after we cuddle or play, but her poop is gross I hold my breath. I don't think it's only kibble to do with it. My dogs' stools smell too, but I'm used to them to a point. If you notice your dog is stinks that it makes you not want to breathe in or just is real bad to you, maybe that means there is a problem or something changing in thebody. Hormones like stress have an odor detectable sometimes to people. If your dog isn't neutered maybe that's a smell. Maybe after they've been outside, their hormones were excited and that's the smell. So my point was it maybe isn't all to do with kibble or raw, but they're still healthy. If it gets worse then I'd say problem

Edited by author Fri Aug 5, '11 10:49am PST

[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Fri Aug 5, '11 11:00am PST 
My dogs don't smell, or they have a pleasant odor. The only time they do smell is if they actually roll in something or have yeast issues...Savvy gets them in her dewlaps and Samoa and Cookie in their ears.

So I have to clean those areas regularly, but can't remember the last time they needed a bath!
[notify]
Zelda

Princess of- Hyrule

Barked: Fri Aug 5, '11 12:28pm PST 
Each dog is gonna be different. Zelda has really stinky breath and god-awful burps, but her teeth are sparkly and she's been on raw for 8 months. I don't get it, but I know she's healthy so I put up with it.

I will agree that some kibble fed dogs are just indescribably stinky. My mother-in-law has two sweet dogs but I swear they smell exactly the same as the stuff they eat (rather low quality kibble). When I pet them, I have to wash my hands to get rid of the stink!
[notify]
Kitsune

Divide and- cuddle!!

Barked: Sat Aug 6, '11 8:12am PST 
Maybe it's just an individual thing. Kit doesn't smell usually but I also bathe him pretty often and groom him almost every day - so I can't say if him not smelling has to do with his diet or it's just because I groom him a lot.

Kind of like what someone else said...I had people swear to me that raw dogs don't get fleas. If only that where true...I wish!

Raw is a great diet but it's not a cure all for all dogs. It may be another factor other than diet causing the smell or maybe that's just how your dogs are?
[notify]
Riley

Loves his belly- rubs!

Barked: Sat Aug 6, '11 7:55pm PST 
My puppy smells like raw chicken sometimes. It's kind of gross, but not as gross and a kibble fed dog.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3