GO!

Rec and teeth cleaning bones?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Mon Jul 18, '11 3:37am PST 
Since it is BQ season, hubby has been BBQing steak and giving the dogs the bones. Yes, I know cooked bones are not good, but I can not seem to get that through his head. I noticed that Bunny's teeth seem cleaner already. Also when the 2 dogs are outside, they are always picking up rocks and sticks to chew on. I doubt I could ever do total raw but I have been thinking about raw meaty bones for awhile, especially when they are outside enjoying the fresh air. Bunny is a high value resource guarder, so any bone I would have to take away or have to hold on to would not work. He can not digest pork, so that is out of the question. I was talking to some raw feeders at the dog show, and they told me where they get their raw meat. I was told chicken and turkey necks were good , but I would think Bunny would chew that up so fast that it would not help his teeth at all. Any ideas for good rec and teeth cleaning bones for this situation?

Edited for misplaced caps

Edited by author Mon Jul 18, '11 4:04am PST

[notify]
Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Mon Jul 18, '11 5:00am PST 
Pig's feet would be good. You can often find them at the grocery store for pretty cheap, and they are something that take a while to work at.

Definitely prevent your husband from giving steak bones. Not only are they cooked, they are also typically cut and have un-natural pointy ends that can easily cut up your dog's mouth.
[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Mon Jul 18, '11 5:57am PST 
Agree with Kolbe.

Maybe getting your vet to print out a sample bill for trying to save the life of a dog who ate a cooked BBQ bone would get through to him. Personally, if my SO took that sort of attitude toward my dogs and their health after I made it clear how dangerous I was...I dunno...that definitely would NOT be ok.

The rock chewing probably needs to stop too. If you have to keep them leashed and supervise 100% of the time when outside to extinguish the behavior then please do. That sort of thing can be just as dangerous as the eating of cooked bones is they accidentally consume some, or even one!

That aside, I'm curious what you mean when you say he can't digest pork. Have you tried raw proteins before? Some dogs who aren't fine with certain proteins in kibbles can handle those exact same proteins raw with no problem.

I too would start with pigs feet, steer clear of rec or "wreck" bones though. Make sure you supervise!

Edited by author Mon Jul 18, '11 6:00am PST

[notify]

Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Mon Jul 18, '11 1:27pm PST 
If your dog can't handle raw pork you can do turkey necks, lamb ribs.

I've given Saya a lamb neck before it had a lot of meat on it so she worked on the meat and gnawed on the bone a bit she gnawed about half the neck then I took it away once she got to the last notch of the neck bone.

Too bad pork is out pig's feet, pork ribs are good. I feed Saya pork shoulder roast the skin on the roast is tough to work on..

Chicken neck is probably not much work, but turkey is a bit bigger..

Some people feed beef bones, but it's more for a work out only a tiny bit of the bone might be gnawed off and the rest is too hard I think.

Only beef bone I've given have been really meaty ox tail. Saya is good with small bones, but it can be trouble for dogs. I let her gnaw what she can and then I take away.
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Mon Jul 18, '11 2:08pm PST 
I know rocks aren't good either. Bunny grabs them so fast, I do not have a chance to stop him and since they are high value to him...confused That is one of the reasons I was thinking about raw bones. I know they are way better than rocks and cooked bones. If hubby knew they were getting a treat, then he would stop with the cooked ones. Also a raw bone would be much more interesting than a rock. I think Princesse just does the rock thing because Bunny does. She is easier to stop.

As to the pork, I have never tried raw pork but the few times he has had any cooked pork ( bones or meat) he gets diarrhea. Hubby stopped feeding him pork pretty quick smile
[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Mon Jul 18, '11 4:29pm PST 
Cooked pork is usually seasoned and can be pretty fatty stuff. Also enhanced up the wazoo (sodium).

I'd bet with plain unenhanced raw pork he'd do just fine wink
[notify]
Crash- Dynamite

Live up to your- Name!

Barked: Mon Jul 18, '11 4:43pm PST 
what about some beef ribs?
[notify]
Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Mon Jul 18, '11 5:05pm PST 
Also a raw bone would be much more interesting than a rock.

LOL we would hope so, but one never knows with dogs...
[notify]
Tucker, CGC,- TDI

Bloggin' Dog

Barked: Mon Jul 18, '11 5:24pm PST 
Eek! Yes, sorry to join the clamor, but please impress upon him how dangerous cooked bones are. Really really not good.

As to the question at hand, turkey necks should be large enough - and you can feed partially frozen to slow him down. A rack of beef ribs - at least three or four - would be good. Pigs' feet are also great - and the tough skin is a great teeth polisher! Good luck and let us know how things go!

For Princesse, a chicken neck or a beef rib or two would be fine.
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Mon Jul 18, '11 6:27pm PST 
I know, Tuckerconfused If I can give them some raw bones, that would stop him from feeding cooked onessmile I was just coming to ask how much beef ribs to give. I never thought about freezing. I know a farmer at the farmers market who sells bones for dogs, but I think they are marroweek I will see if he has ribs next Saturdaysmile I am not sure if he has porkshrug There is a small grocer with a local butcher who apparently has turkey and chicken neckssmile
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3