GO!

What can you get from Asian markets?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Topic closed to new posts.
(Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  

Barked: Mon Apr 25, '11 1:46pm PST 
I will not feed kibble, so there you go.

And I'd sooner feed organic kibble (if I could be sure that it was indeed organic) than the "worst factory formed animals". Any day.

Just because in our culture we value dogs as companions doesn't mean that we can put other animals under the worst conditions and be ok with that.

With a little saving and determination it's possible to cut down and spend more money on quality food for your family and companion dogs. We for one seldom go to the restaurant, we rent movies at the library, we buy clothes at second hand places most of the time.
[notify]
Charlie &- Zelda

Love at first- sniff <3

Barked: Mon Apr 25, '11 2:45pm PST 
That's your opinion, and you're certainly entitled to it. However, you should be aware that the vast majority of raw feeders on this forum do not feed by your standards.

I don't agree with how the commercial meat market is run, I don't think many people do. However, the commercial meat industry supplies raw feeders with affordable meat at a decent quality. I also buy commercial meat to feed my own family, though I try to buy organic from time to time from our farmer's markets. We cannot afford to eat organic regularly, and so we certainly cannot afford to feed our dog's organic meats.

The only kibble I know that can guarantee organic, local meats that are well treated is Orijen. I bought it once when my dogs boarded and my jaw dropped at the price. No way I can afford to feed that regularly.

Edited by author Mon Apr 25, '11 2:45pm PST

[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Mon Apr 25, '11 5:09pm PST 
Because for many of us, buying 100% organic just isn't financially possible.

Keep in mind that not everyone agrees with the vegetarian/vegan lifestyle smile

And on that note, I don't agree with how high the gas prices are right now... but I still drive my car. Huh. laugh out loud
[notify]

Holly - CGC TDI

Squirrel?- Squrirrel!- SQUIRRELLLLL!!!!

Barked: Mon Apr 25, '11 5:29pm PST 
I see your point, and agree that factory farming is not a good, healthy way to raise our meat. However, like Mulder said, it just isn't financially possible for many of us to feed our dogs only organic meat. Would I like to feed my dogs only the best meat available both for their health, and the lifestyle of the meat? Yes. Do I consider it a huge score when I find organic meat at a huge discount? Of course! Am I able to afford it? No.

My dogs are pretty much the only thing I spend my money on, I saved up for years to be able to adequately care for them in the first place. Unlike most other teens, I don't go out to movies, don't go out to dinner, don't buy the latest designer clothes, and don't sucker off of my parents for anything. (Well, other than the occasional dog training book laugh out loud )

I consider myself a well-informed pet owner. However, despite the fact that I would like to feed my dogs only organic it just isn't possible. I have to decide between kibble, or factory farmed (but human grade) raw. Obviously I will choose the meat, since it is what is best for my dogs.

Edited by moderator Tue Apr 26, '11 1:37pm PST

Edited by forums moderator
Crash- Dynamite

Live up to your- Name!

Barked: Mon Apr 25, '11 6:05pm PST 
While the Asian markets here in Alaska offer a nice variety of odd meat products, I cannot afford them as they mostly are well over my $2 a pound cut off. In fact, most are around $4 per pound.
however, I do buy Pork Brains from one of them since it is something Crash likes and I can only find it at one store in town. It's $3 for 16oz.
[notify]
The Hounds- of- Bassetville- +3

Food? Where?!?

Barked: Mon Apr 25, '11 7:59pm PST 
FYI "Organic" does not always mean humane. According to the USDA:

What is organic food? Organic food is produced by farmers who emphasize the use of renewable resources and the conservation of soil and water to enhance environmental quality for future generations. Organic meat, poultry, eggs, and dairy products come from animals that are given no antibiotics or growth hormones. Organic food is produced without using most conventional pesticides; fertilizers made with synthetic ingredients or sewage sludge; bioengineering; or ionizing radiation. Before a product can be labeled ‘organic,’ a Government-approved certifier inspects the farm where the food is grown to make sure the farmer is following all the rules necessary to meet USDA organic standards. Companies that handle or process organic food before it gets to your local supermarket or restaurant must be certified, too.” Consumer Brochure, USDA National Organic Program

In order to ENSURE that the meat you feed is humane you would need to purchase it from a farmer who raises and slaughters their livestock in the most humane manner possible. Meaning free range, grass fed animals aloud to roam and graze every day (or weather permitting). I do purchase this meat whenever possible, but this is no where near all of the time. As a raw feeder who does not have a completely disposable income I have to buy what I can afford... and unfortunately this sometimes includes meat that comes from feed lots. Condemning someone for doing the best they can do is not something I will ever agree with.
[notify]
Zoe

Woof!

Barked: Mon Apr 25, '11 8:07pm PST 
You will love the Asian market! The one near our house sells Carabao! They also have whole beef spleen and veal legs! I was happy when I went there and I didn't see any dog meat! laugh out loud But, everything is very expensive.
[notify]
Bogie

Have cats -- Will Chase!

Barked: Tue Apr 26, '11 7:52am PST 
The only meat I refuse to buy or eat is veal. Once I heard they take tiny calves and lock them into boxes so they can't move at all until they slaughter them. THAT to me, is very cruel so on general principals I avoid veal and veal dishes.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Apr 26, '11 9:14am PST 
Don't forget to avoid dairy completelly then, because dairy produces veal. There is a direct corrolation between dairy production and consumption and veal production and consumption.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbdFOUbUZwQ&feature=r elated

Even organic dairy produces suffering and planetary environmental impact.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kM387cI4rk
[notify]
Duke

I'm king of the- world!

Barked: Tue Apr 26, '11 10:11am PST 
Asian markets rule, and to the OP...have fun shopping!

Edited by moderator Tue Apr 26, '11 1:39pm PST

Edited by forums moderator
(Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3