GO!

Does Anyone Feed Prather Ranch Raw?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Kitai

Chia Kitai!

Barked: Sat Mar 12, '11 7:34pm PST 
Am hoping someone can take a moment to instruct me how to best convert Kitai to the raw dog food offered by Prather Ranch. It's ground beef (organic, humane certified and each batch is from a single cow) with organ meat ground in.

Currently he's been on holistic, grain-free kibbles for years (EVO, Orijen, etc.) I normally feed him a cup per day, 1/2 in the AM and 1/2 in the PM.

I can also buy him other raw cuts and raw meaty bones at our local farmer's market as they have a booth there each Sunday.
[notify]
Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Sat Mar 12, '11 7:40pm PST 
I haven't heard of it...but is there ground bone in the mix?
[notify]
Kitai

Chia Kitai!

Barked: Sat Mar 12, '11 7:56pm PST 
Hi Kolbe,

Thanks for asking. I'm not sure so I just sent them a message asking about what organs are used and is there bone ground in as well. Will post again when I hear from them.
[notify]

Kitai

Chia Kitai!

Barked: Mon Mar 14, '11 10:38am PST 
Just heard back...

"The meat consists of small chunks of meat from the head and small pieces of partially dried meat from the carcass. In big plants this meat is used in lunch meat and hot dogs. We end up with some darker partially dried meat in our dry aging process. We trim it from the outside of the steaks and other cuts and save it for pet food."

So it doesn't sound like any bone is ground into the meat.
[notify]
Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Mon Mar 14, '11 11:28am PST 
Did they answer your question about organ content? If there's no ground bone, you could feed this as part of the diet, but you could not feed it as 100% of the entire diet -- you'd be missing the bone ratio which is important.
[notify]
Kitai

Chia Kitai!

Barked: Mon Mar 14, '11 11:47am PST 
They just answered there are organs, not the percentage of organs to meat. But I can purchase raw meaty bones from them and if need be grind them down or feed whole?
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Mon Mar 14, '11 1:42pm PST 
Yup! The problem is only that you don't know how much more organ to add to the diet. Max adores organs so I probably would just assume it has about half the organ needed and buy more.

You will feed bony stuff for stool control, calcium and phosphorus. Chicken, turkey, duck, pork, rabbit and lamb are animals that have easily eaten to mostly edible bone. Remember the bony meats aren't optional they are necessary. A 50 pound dog needs more calcium than an adult woman. When about 10% bone is eaten it provides just about that amount of calcium.

Usually dogs start on bony chicken. It might be skinned, defatted backs or leg quarters with the skin on or tiny bits of Cornish Game Hen depending on how fragile the dog's gut is and how large the dog. Once the gut is used to the new food we introduce a little of a new protein.

No matter how wonderful a food source is we prefer to feed a variety of meats and organs as well. Beef is really good but other meats offer different ratios of the nutrients dogs need. I would love to feed this meat source and might even feed it for most of the boneless meat but I would want to offer pork, lamb, venison, rabbit, ostrich, emu, llama and any other red meat in my price range as well.

One example of why mixing up proteins is important is beef liver. It is high in copper. Feeding only beef liver would overload the dog on copper which messes up zinc and iron absorption. I need to feed beef liver but feed only half beef liver.

Are you getting this from the SF coop? That place has loads of other completely wonderful meats to choose from. Start out with chicken and work to include the beef after at least a week but work on including other meats into the diet as well.
[notify]
Kitai

Chia Kitai!

Barked: Mon Mar 14, '11 6:32pm PST 
I'm not. I'm buying it from Prather Ranch itself since they have a booth each week at the Farmers' Market I go to. I don't live in SF (it would be a 2 hour round trip) so picking up meat from their co-op might be problematic at times. I'm also trying to focus on purchasing only humane certified animal products.

Thank you for the tips! I appreciate the insights about the organ meat and bone ratios. I guess I'll have to really study into this in more depth as it won't be as easy to figure out as I thought.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Mon Mar 14, '11 10:56pm PST 
My farmer's market just has chicken! Bah.
http://www.sfraw.com/calendar.htm
They have the freezer sale every so often but also have a delivery route.
There is also the Fremont coop.
http://fremontbarfcoop.com/order.php
[notify]
Ruby * Teddy- * Rusty *- Penny

Barked: Wed Aug 24, '11 7:21am PST 
I'm late responding to this.

I belong SFRAW, and have tried the Prather Ranch pet food. My understanding it is contains beef trim, beef heart & beef spleen. We have a choice of a product with bone meal and no bone.

I personally have used the no bone option. My dogs like it. I've got one who is VERY picky when it comes to organ meat, especially beef. She will pick little (and I mean little) pieces out, or won't eat anything with organ mixed in. She will eat this. I like that we get it in 1 lb packs, so it is easy for me to split up with my 4.

If you have access to Marin Sun Farms, they also carry a pet food product. I think it's a mix of trim, heart, liver, kidney. My "non-organ" eater won't touch this - even if I try to trick her by lightly searing it, adding some garlic, etc... she just won't touch it. So for us, I'm really happy we have access to the Prather.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2