GO!

Clams

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Oscar

Barked: Wed Feb 16, '11 12:19pm PST 
Can dogs have clams? And can they have the shell? I think it would be a good chew toy and snack but I want to make sure that would be OK.
[notify]
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Wed Feb 16, '11 2:32pm PST 
hmmm... I don't think the dogs would have interest in the shells here. At least, they never tried to pick any up at the beach.

The clam meat is fine to eat but the dogs sometimes needed convincing, like they did for raw shrimp. I parboiled both lightly before they would eat it.
[notify]
Terra

Bonzaiiiiiiii!!!- !!!

Barked: Wed Feb 16, '11 4:14pm PST 
Clams are fine, but I haven't fed any yet. Like the comment above, some persuasion may be in order (Terra took some shrimp from me one day, and just sat there with it in her mouth for 20 min before she put it down. She eventually ate it, but it took her a while to figure it out). As to the shells, I personally wouldn't feed them. To me, they remind me of the crunchy consistency of glass... it's just a lot different than bone.
[notify]

Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Wed Feb 16, '11 8:02pm PST 
I don't know about clams but raw oysters can have a deadly parasite similar to the one Pacific Northwest salmon can carry.
[notify]

Barked: Sat Mar 23, '13 4:24pm PST 
My dog tries to pick up clams off the beach all the time. I decided to give him one (cooked) from my dinner tonight, in the shell, and he loves it. He's spending a lot of time trying to pull the part that sticks in the shell off, and keeps licking the shell. I don't let him have the ones off the beach, but I'll definitely do this again (give him a cooked one). He's really happy!
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Sat Mar 23, '13 5:49pm PST 
Clams are one of those things that dogs can eat, but there's really no purpose to it. It's not a natural food source for them, they aren't getting any huge benefits out of it, and they're generally difficult to obtain and prepare and after all that, a lot of dogs don't like them. Just not really worth the effort, although I will toss my guys a strip or belly if I'm eating them.

They should not be eating shells. That can seriously damage their digestive tract. They really don't break down well at all. I lived and worked by the ocean for years and I've seen Labs in particular get IBD eating shells off the beach. They can also cause obstructions.
[notify]
Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Sun Mar 24, '13 1:11am PST 
This is an old thread XP

Anywho, I use (canned) clams when I can't feed a lot of red meat or heart. They have a ton of iron in them, and help give a boost to meats that don't have much in them.
[notify]
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Sun Mar 24, '13 2:13am PST 
canned clams were a no go for us.. the dogs aren't big on anything seafood unless its halibut/tuna/salmon.. they like the expensive stuff shock
[notify]

Barked: Wed Jun 4, '14 1:36pm PST 
BE CaREful! Some dogs like people have seafood allergies. Never let them have clam shells or oyster, mussel shell. No shell is good for dogs although they can digest shrimp shells, it generally isn't a good idea to let them have them as they have a barb at tail that can give them problems. Also all shellfish should be cooked for dogs and people!

Edited by author Wed Jun 4, '14 1:37pm PST

[notify]
Raine

i love cheese- but im not- allowed to eat

Barked: Wed Jul 30, '14 9:39am PST 
yup mine eat dried clams. good eats. but each breed is different. a sea type dog will tolerate a lot more than inlaw dog.

there are breed dependency it's why a lot a huskies can't eat pork because there wasn't pork in the new world.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2