GO!

Is otter meat safe to feed a dog?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Bonzer

I'm a good boy!

Barked: Sat Feb 12, '11 4:26pm PST 
My dad couldn't avoid running over and killing a river otter that ran out in front of him. He feels very bad for hitting it but put it in the car and brought it home for the pelt. Mom was thinking of feeding it to me but dad says there's something about Mustelids (weasel family)that makes animals not want to eat them.

Mom googled it and there was something about wolves eating them but she was wondering if there's anyone that can tell us anything about it before she lets me try it.
[notify]
Crash- Dynamite

Live up to your- Name!

Barked: Sun Feb 13, '11 1:30am PST 
I'd think the glands that produce the musk would need to be removed first.
[notify]
Nibbler

I love love!

Barked: Sun Feb 13, '11 7:37am PST 
Otter, neat! I'm jealous! I don't have an answer, I just thought it was cool. big grin
[notify]

Mystique- 'Tiki'

Wooo Awooo!

Barked: Sun Feb 13, '11 7:48am PST 
I'd descent it before feeding.. and maybe freeze for a little bit first.. but then feed it big grin

Jealous BTW wink
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Sun Feb 13, '11 8:14am PST 
I've remember seeing a show on animals and a coyote was trying to catch the river otter, but they kept going in the frozen water so he couldn't get it.

A wolf will eat anything for survival sure you can feed it like others say descent it and freeze for a bit.
[notify]
Bonzer

I'm a good boy!

Barked: Sun Feb 13, '11 11:31am PST 
Thanks everyone

It's frozen now and when dad gets around to skinning it, he will look for the musk gland and remove it for me big grin
[notify]