GO!

Other Papillons On Raw?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Rico Suave

I IS DA EVIL- LITTLE PILLOW- THIEF!

Barked: Tue Jan 11, '11 10:40pm PST 
Hey Rico has some bad dental issues alot of plaque and a few missing teeth. He is due to go under in a few months to have his teeth cleaned and a tooth removed. I was wondering have any other paps seen dental improvment on the raw diet. I will do anything to make him healthier and keep him from having to go under. He is my Service dog and his health is the most important thing to me. He is currently on Natural Balance Duck and Potato grain free diet. I am terrified to put him under sedation for oral care and risk losing him if anything else can help him. He is small so the costs would balance out and I can buy a freezer for his food if necessary. My uncle loves to hunt and my family loves to fish. I have no problem stepping out of the norm if It is for his health. Any info appreciated. I just dont want little rico to have to go under if something else can help him!
[notify]
Rossi

My Love, My- Life, My Rossi- gal

Barked: Tue Jan 11, '11 11:14pm PST 
Rossi is on raw. For dental wise,the bones are pretty good for 'cleaning' her teeth. I used to brush her teeth with doggie toothbrush & toothpaste, she hated it. Eversince I started her on raw, I let the raw meaty bones do the job.
[notify]
Rico Suave

Barked: Tue Jan 11, '11 11:26pm PST 
Can you tell me how much a month you spend on raw. I am a college student on a budget but I can cut costs even more if necessary to help his health. considering the money I will have to put into his dental care I can spend it on his diet if It will help with his teeth. His teeth are not in the best shape but if this will help I will do it.
[notify]

Rossi

My Love, My- Life, My Rossi- gal

Barked: Wed Jan 12, '11 1:04am PST 
Hmm..I spend around $200-$250 on her food monthly, but this cost is based on the country I'm located. I'm actually located in one of the Asian countries. I believe you can get better deals from where you are located and its not as expensive to feed raw in your location.

Edited by author Wed Jan 12, '11 1:12am PST

[notify]
Josie

I\'m all ears!

Barked: Wed Jan 12, '11 5:58am PST 
My papillons are on raw. Josie always had good teeth, Stormy's teeth were a little dirty and raw has helped keep them in better shape.

And then there's Rufus, my pom-mix. He had HORRIBLE teeth, he's missing over half of them. We tried everything: water additive, regular chews, CET chews, daily brushing, etc. But on raw, his teeth are actually clean!

I haven't figured up cost lately. When I buy meat, I don't spend more than $2 a pound. I get some free meat too; old or freezerburned meat from family, friends, and coworkers.
[notify]
Gray Dawn- Treader

Don\\\'t Tread- on me

Barked: Wed Jan 12, '11 7:20am PST 
Treader's a Papillon mix. He has better teeth than he did. He usually gets RMBs in his meal, though we do feed boneless meals quite often. Usually RMBs with tough skin and/or bone are best. Pork tails are the perfect RMB for Treader in my experience.
You may have to do some brushing near the root of the canines, because they do most of their chewing with the molars. Treader will tug on his meat sometimes, to rip it open and make it easier for him to eat, and that helps clean his front teeth some.

Edited by author Wed Jan 12, '11 7:21am PST

[notify]
Maxwell Smart

The dog park toy- thief!

Barked: Wed Jan 12, '11 8:00am PST 
I do not own a Papillon, but I am a university student who feeds my dog raw. I spend anywhere from $15-$25 Canadian on his food per month. I post a lot of adds on kijij and I get freezer burned meat that way. I imaine you could definitely budget raw with such a small dog. My dog only eats 5-7oz per day. Since we started raw with Max at 4 months of age, his teeth have never really had plaque, but I know quite a few dogs here on dogster that have shown significant improvement in their oral health since switching to raw.
[notify]
Rico Suave

Barked: Wed Jan 12, '11 8:31am PST 
Thanks everyone. Since rico has a history of hypoglycemia I dont want to switch him totally to raw I want to leave kibble down incase he does get hungry and if anyone can answer what are RBM's I have always wondered when reading this forum

thanks
[notify]
Rocky

If you don't- claim it, it's- mine!

Barked: Wed Jan 12, '11 8:55am PST 
Rocky is actually a Boston Terrier and is about 22lbs and we go through about 6lbs of food a week since he is at the higher end at 4% of his body weight. Raw has worked wonders for his teeth and I try to feed things that have alot of ligament which includes beef ribs and pork thighs although I watch to make sure there is not heavy chomping on those weight bearing bones. We also feed frozen so that he has to work harder at the meat and that really gets them nice and white. We have a $2/lb budget so if we shopped at grocery stores for everything he eats we would probably spend about $50 a month. We actually spend about $20-$30 a month as we put up adds on freecycle and ask around for hunter and butcher scraps. Jut thought the price stuff would help.wave
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Wed Jan 12, '11 8:58am PST 
Raw Meaty Bones. The bones should be about invisible, more like a drumstick than a soup bone.

Max had empty tummy vomits regularly on kibble, the high fat in raw stopped those. This diet has practically zero carbs to cause low blood sugar issues and the high fat content really sticks to the ribs. Switching the diet is a huge change for the gut and it can complicate things if food is left down and the dog over eats. If you are concerned you might simply feed more meals, as if he was a pup?
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3