GO!

pancreatitis

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Fri Oct 29, '10 6:35pm PST 
I genuinely want to know.

What needs to fall into place for a dog to develop pancreatitis on raw? How much of a fat % is too much?

I'm trying to understand this, as apparently very small amounts of raw can cause acute pancreatitis. I'd like to know how that could happen, or if there has to be some preexisting condition for a dog to be affected in a window of time smaller than 24 hours.
[notify]
Harlow

st. francis of- asses

Barked: Fri Oct 29, '10 7:11pm PST 
I think it's more than a small amount. Sooner was treated for it the summer before she was diagnosed with cancer. From what I understand, it was a condition that built up over time, we gave her food that was not good for her as treats, people food and such red face It wasn't her getting a lot of fat at one time. It was totally our fault...
[notify]
Harlow

st. francis of- asses

Barked: Fri Oct 29, '10 7:12pm PST 
I really don't know about the raw aspect of it, Sooner was on kibble her entire life. Too much people food was what made her sick.
[notify]

Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Fri Oct 29, '10 7:34pm PST 
Well, I know humans and dogs aren't the same (although elevated triglycerides can cause pancreatitis in humans too).

But alcohol is the #1 cause of pancreatitis in humans. The symptoms can occur anywhere from 4-48 hours after consumption. It is based on the person and is widely variable.
[notify]
In Memory of CodyDunnit

Give me rats or- give me death!

Barked: Fri Oct 29, '10 7:39pm PST 
As far as I know Cody was not a drinkerwink Now I did leave him uncrated to come to work, so maybe he was going out with his terrier friends and getting drunk while I was at work, lol. Seriously though, the dog was not fed junk or alot of treats. He had a chicken back for dinner and during the night was deathly ill from pancreatitis, he had a chicken leg for breakfast, the first day on straight raw and his last day on any raw.
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Fri Oct 29, '10 7:48pm PST 
To the point Cody, you've already clarified that he had more than JUST one chicken back. Something you failed to mention in your first post regarding this issue (as it sounded very much to me as if you were implying that a SINGLE, one-time feeding of a piece of raw chicken caused this situation for you). You've since clarified, and I've already thanked you for that.

Now... anything else regarding percentages and whatnot? Again, I genuinely want to know. This post was made in all seriousness.
[notify]
Lily

Whose bed?? Why- would YOU think- that?

Barked: Fri Oct 29, '10 7:54pm PST 
I've never had any reason to research pancreatitis, thank goodness, but I think I've read it's from an overabundance of COOKED fat in dogs, not raw fat. Sorry I don't have any sources to offer you.
[notify]
Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Fri Oct 29, '10 7:54pm PST 
Right, but the point is it can take 4-48 hours to develop no matter the cause (there is a long list of causes).

So, could it of been the chicken back? yes. BUT, could it have been the combination of things he had to eat over the two days preceding? yes.

Could it have been an infection, medications (including supplements), trauma, genetic abnormalities, or even a tumor? Yes.

There are many many causes and it pretty much impossible to say one chicken back caused it. Especially considering raw had been fed much more than that one time in this situation. Perhaps the combo of kibble and raw was too much fat, or maybe it was just a little off but then your dog got an infection on top of it. Unfortunately pancreatitis causes elevated WBC's so it would have been expected and sometimes infections aren't even looked for unless there isn't improvement with fluids and bowel rest.

I am sorry you lost your dog. I know feeling like there was one thing that did it might make it feel better. But, I am coming from an outside scientific/medical view, not the emotional one of losing a beloved pet.

ETA: this is directed at Cody as I was typing when other posts were added!

Edited by author Fri Oct 29, '10 7:55pm PST

[notify]
In Memory of CodyDunnit

Give me rats or- give me death!

Barked: Fri Oct 29, '10 8:05pm PST 
Maybe one chicken back did not cause it but sent him over the edge. The final straw so to speak. I have always found it really interesting that he never had another pancreatic attack once he was no longer on any raw. I know you raw feeders will defend your diet to the death and that is fine, you can do that but I think we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one because my vet, the holistic vet and I and others, all feel the raw chicken back sent him in a pancreatic attack. Maybe it was the final straw but I doubt if he would have had it , had I not given it to him. I did considered feeding the prepared raw diets last year, I tried it and my older dog Callie it did not agree with her at all and Wyatt who has the cast iron tummy also did not agree with him. Maybe I did not give them enough time to adjust, not sure and after dealing with what I did with Cody I was not going to continue.
[notify]
Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Fri Oct 29, '10 8:07pm PST 
Just so you know, I do not feed raw and do not see feeding raw in my future. My girls both eat TOTW.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5